Hook Up Boost Gauge/Pyro To '02 F-250 5.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hook Up Boost Gauge/Pyro To '02 F-250 5.4

Well, I know this sounds like a crazy story, but one of my instructors @ truck driving school started getting "parts crazy" with his '02 F-250 XL 5.4L. He got his tax return in & he's been spending money on his truck like a fat kid in a candy store. He straight-piped his truck with a Flowmaster Super44 & he wants to keep going. He's got a K&N intake coming in the mail. He has a 2 gauge a-pillar mount he had in one of his cars with a turbo & he wants to hook it up to the truck(don't ask me why, PLEASE!!!). It's a boost gauge & one of those pyrometers with the red, yellow, & green sections that tell you if it's burning rich, stoichometric, or lean, & the boost gauge is just a standard Sun Pro 0-35lb. How/where would you hook up these gauges to the 5.4/na? I haven't a clue in hell. He just wants them to work, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Resident Tire Smoker

LMAO..... Hooking a boost gauge is worthless. There is no boost to read. He could hook up a vacuum gauge as that is all he will be able to see...
The A/F gauge will need to hooked up to an oxygen sensor. You may be able to splice into one of the existing ones on the truck already, but he may have to add another Ox sensor.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

a gasoline doesnt make boost does it? I thought it just made vacuum pressure or w/e
Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveer2000 View Post
LMAO..... Hooking a boost gauge is worthless. There is no boost to read. He could hook up a vacuum gauge as that is all he will be able to see...
The A/F gauge will need to hooked up to an oxygen sensor. You may be able to splice into one of the existing ones on the truck already, but he may have to add another Ox sensor.
Thanks, raveer! I know the boost gauge deal is worthless, but try telling that to a 23yr old that's yound, dumb, & full of..........well, you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke7.3 View Post
a gasoline doesnt make boost does it? I thought it just made vacuum pressure or w/e
Sure it does.............if it had a supercharger! I don't know what I'm gonna tell this guy!
Old 05-03-2009, 04:09 PM
wriott

sounds like the kid has more money than brains....
Old 05-03-2009, 05:27 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriott View Post
sounds like the kid has more money than brains....
Correction: HAD more money than brains!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Resident Tire Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Thanks, raveer! I know the boost gauge deal is worthless, but try telling that to a 23yr old that's yound, dumb, & full of..........well, you know.

Sure it does.............if it had a supercharger! I don't know what I'm gonna tell this guy!

Tell him the best mod he can do for the 5.4 is to have the spark plug holes drilled out and install steel inserts so the spark plugs don't blow out of the head. I did all 8 plugs on my 5.4 a few months ago.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveer2000 View Post
Tell him the best mod he can do for the 5.4 is to have the spark plug holes drilled out and install steel inserts so the spark plugs don't blow out of the head. I did all 8 plugs on my 5.4 a few months ago.
Do you have an install guide on this? I'll definitely tell him.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Resident Tire Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Do you have an install guide on this? I'll definitely tell him.
I used this kit to do mine.. I borrowed the tool from a buddy that owns an auto shop so it didn't cost me much.

CalVan Tools Ford Spark Plug Insert Installer CAL 38900

Calvan CAL389-100 Spark Plug Thread Insert for use with CAL 38900 | Thread Repair Tools / Inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.