F250 5.4 fuel economy vs. 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,341
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 5.4 fuel economy vs. 6.0

I've been using an 08 5.4 F250 the last month and the best fuel economy i can get even unloaded is 13.8mpg highway. On the highway my 07 6.0 always gets 18 to 22mpg at freeway speeds. I never realized how much better the fuel economy was with Diesel engines untill my experiance with this 08 superduty gasser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yep! We run the 5.4 and a 6.0 here at work everyday, and the 6.0 always does better on fuel. The power of a diesel will spoil you as well. We keep ours loaded down most of the time. The 5.4 does between 8 - 10mpg. The 6.0 does between 12 - 14mpg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,341
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKid View Post
Yep! We run the 5.4 and a 6.0 here at work everyday, and the 6.0 always does better on fuel. The power of a diesel will spoil you as well. We keep ours loaded down most of the time. The 5.4 does between 8 - 10mpg. The 6.0 does between 12 - 14mpg.
you do keep em loaded up to get that kinda mileage. I made a trip last summer in an F150 4.6L with 8,000 pounds of honey in 55 gallon drums on a trailer and averaged 12mpg. That trip was almost 550 miles and crosses two moutnin ranges. The 4.6 F150 got 17-18 at 70 empty. The new F150 is EPA rated at 21!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Posts: 672
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.4s aren't impressive in any aspect... i had an 01 and a couple of our 5.4s at work at 05s. terrible milage and power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
you do keep em loaded up to get that kinda mileage. I made a trip last summer in an F150 4.6L with 8,000 pounds of honey in 55 gallon drums on a trailer and averaged 12mpg. That trip was almost 550 miles and crosses two moutnin ranges. The 4.6 F150 got 17-18 at 70 empty. The new F150 is EPA rated at 21!
Dunno about the F150s(4.6). But ya, our F250(5.4L) sucks some fuel.

If I could do it over again, we would buy another diesel. Ya fuel is higher, and oil changes cost more, but the difference in the milage would make up that cost over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,341
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKid View Post
Dunno about the F150s(4.6). But ya, our F250(5.4L) sucks some fuel.

If I could do it over again, we would buy another diesel. Ya fuel is higher, and oil changes cost more, but the difference in the milage would make up that cost over time.
I much preferr the solid feel of the diesel but the six grand saings for the 5.4 in todays world in which i am finding it hard to keep my head above water is awfully attractive. That is if i needed a new truck this year and i don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a 05 f250 CC with a 3'' lift and 36's with 20's, and I get 13.3 mpg on the highway. But I have a Programmer, Upgraded TB, KN Intake, Exhaust, with 3.73 gears. Thinking about going to 4.10's any idea of gas mileage decrease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,341
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1234567 View Post
I have a 05 f250 CC with a 3'' lift and 36's with 20's, and I get 13.3 mpg on the highway. But I have a Programmer, Upgraded TB, KN Intake, Exhaust, with 3.73 gears. Thinking about going to 4.10's any idea of gas mileage decrease.
is your mpg corrected for he tire size? You may see an increase in mpg with the 410's if you have tall tires and a lift which increases drag. My truck came from the factory with 20's, 373's, but no lift and i get 13.9 around town and 18 to 22 highway depending upon the speed unloaded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
is your mpg corrected for he tire size? You may see an increase in mpg with the 410's if you have tall tires and a lift which increases drag. My truck came from the factory with 20's, 373's, but no lift and i get 13.9 around town and 18 to 22 highway depending upon the speed unloaded.
No it hasn't been recalibrated, I was wanting to try it out and see if it would make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Drain Oregon
Posts: 2,341
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody1234567 View Post
No it hasn't been recalibrated, I was wanting to try it out and see if it would make a difference.
what size tires do you have on your truck now? I've found easy calculators on the net before that allow one to quickly ascertain the corcted speed for any tire size gear ratio but can't remember any right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors