Mustang forum - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mustang forum

Hey guys, I know some of you are into cars as well, and hopefully sticking to the Ford family. I know I've seen some members have some mustangs, so I thought I would put a link up for a mustang forum I'm on. It's not a very large site, but still some good information, plus one thing I like a lot is it is very laid back. I've met the guy who started it up and he's a good guy, the site is just trying to get some more members and get some growth, so if you're interested check it out. If you do choose to sign up I think there is some kind of prize for referrals (some stickers, or something), so if you want my screen name is mustangcowboy. Thanks guys.
Insane Mustangs - Insane Mustangs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 AM

Mustangs

I have owned a black 1988 Mustang GT, a red 1993 GT and a white 1995 GT; each with the 5.0L OHV "H.O." engine under the hood and a five-speed manual.

After ten years of being sans Mustang, I could not help it any longer and now have a leased 2008 Mustang GT. This one also has a five-speed, but I think it is a Tremec gearbox instead of a Borg-Warner T5. To say the ride quality is an improvement over the "older" Mustangs is like saying that Hedi Klum is a little bit more attractive than Rosie O'Donnel.

You can drive over railroad tracks without knocking the fillings out of your teeth or spilling the drink in the cupholder. The "traction control" is a nice feature, but it doesn't really kick in until you are at the limits of adhesion to the pavement. I recommend not relying on it to save your arse on a rainy day! Even so, the 2005+ Mustang GT is a vastly improved car, especially for a live-axle (no IRS on the base Mustang or the GT) car.

My GT has a stock 4.6L OHC V8 and is bone-stock; and is rated by Ford at 300 hp (320 lbs/ft of torque). It has plenty of power, but this car has very tall rear axle gears (3.08:1 or thereabouts) and a tall overdrive fifth gear. Shorter gearing would help acceleration, though it may cost a few miles per gallon at the pump; and it is obvious that this engine needs help to be able to breathe a bit better.

I leased it, so I am not able to do any mods to it. That being said, I am an old guy - so it is quite fast enough for me as is. Should I end up getting another Mustang at a later date, I will probably buy it and then may just decide to put on a cold-air intake and a "faster" chip. This engine is definitely capable of another 50 or 50 hp without any internal tinkering.

Then again, if they made it so easy, who would pay extra dough for the Bullitt or the Shelby GT500??

Regarding future Mustangs, I have read articles about the upcoming cars stating that a "turbocharged" OHC V-6 displacing 3.5 to 4.0L might be the engine choice for the GT, instead of the 4.6L V8. Whether this is because of fuel economy or emissions standards, I am not sure. I know you can easily get 300+ ponies out of a high-zoot V6, but it just would not be the same to have a "V6" GT in my driveway.

There is a crate engine from Ford Racing that is 5.0L, as well as another that is 5.4L (similar to the Shelby mill); but will they be factory-installed options without having to buy from Saleen, Steeda or Roush? With all the B.S. going in with the Big Three, I would hate to see Detroit price some of their best cars out of the reach of their intended customers. Doh!

Last edited by JK23112; 11-23-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 AM

I'll have to stop it in to check it out. The 05-09 Stangs are definately a notch above any of the others in quality. I love my Mustang, I know there are faster cars, and cars that handle better but it is just a nice all around car.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 AM

As much as I dislike Fords in general and hate to say it, I kinda like the new 'stangs. Would I actually go out and buy one?? Ehh thats questionable. BUT, if I were to go out and buy a Mustang, hands down, without a doubt, it would be an 03/04 Cobra with the supercharged 4.6...
Old 11-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Joined the site, looks like a decent board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.