Need help using AutoEginuity to track down rough running Excursion v10. Misfire quest - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help using AutoEginuity to track down rough running Excursion v10. Misfire quest

Hey all,

2000 Ford Excursion v10. 156k on it. Don't have an idea on the previous maintenance history.

Bought it about 2 weeks ago and it ran flawless on a 2 hour drive home.

Recently I have been noticing a rough idle. Tach bounces slightly and I can feel it vibrate the Ex.
It also started running very rough while driving the last couple days. Feel like it is misfiring severly and vibrates the entire vehicle while driving. I can hear it running rough also, seems like there is more chatter from the engine.

What is weird though is that it does not always do it. Yesterday it ran perfect, smooth and quiet. Driving it today to church also had no issues until coming back home. Started it up and it was idling rough, driving home it ran worse than ever. I even thought I could smell a slight burning smell coming from the vehicle (most likely from the rough idle causing it to not burn as clean).

Long story short. I have the 2013 version of Auto Enginuity. Should be updated with a pretty currrent version. I have the enhanced Ford bundle also (thanks to dealing with 6.0s).
I cannot seem to find a cylinder contribution test though. I thought I would be able to use AE to track down a cylinder(s) that is not preforming correctly.

Any ideas on how to run that test or any test that will help me track down the issue. Would like not not start throwing parts at the truck.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 AM

Sounds like coil pack issues to me. but i'm not familiar with the auto enginuity tool that you have so i'm no help there.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:57 PM

Not familiar with that equipment either but a new set of coil packs and plugs would be a good start. Coils are cheap online, less than $100 for set of 10, and autolite double plat about $3.50 ea at advance.

I replaced all mine due to similar issues and also after having a plug pop out on me driving down the road.

Mis firing issues are now gone. 2 or 3 of my plugs were rusted. Water seeped down into the back cylinder's plug sockets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.