I need some advice on 2 questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need some advice on 2 questions

First off, I have a 98 and a 99 with the 5.4L triton in them. On the 98 the motor is locked up. On the 99 it is knocking like a sob. I have been told that these motors need to be replaced, and not rebuilt. The trucks both have less than 150,000 on them. Should I replace the motors or have have them rebuilt?

Ok the second part is that I have an 73 Gran Torino that has a 351 Cleavland in it. I am looking at possibly rebuilding the motor and putting it into either a sand drag car or a drag car. I would like to do the work myself since 1, I have always wanted to rebuild a motor, and 2 I am on a tight budget. I am looking at having it bored and putting oversize pistons in it, putting in a different cam. What else would be recommended to help achieve more HP? I havent quite decided what carb will go on it, which tranny (thinking the power glide) and what size rear end that will go with the motor. I am hoping to have this little project done in 2-3 years, since i will be buying it one part at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Infidel

On the 5.4's who told you they shouldn't be rebuilt and why? My 99 F-150 has 228K on it.
On the one that's knocking, what all have you done to it? Sensors replaced, throttle body been cleaned?

Craig
Old 10-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

For your Cleveland:

Since you said money is tight, go with a C6 instead of a Powerglide. You'll need an adapter to mount the Powerglide to the motor. You should be able to find a C6 that will bolt right up and they can be just as indestructible as the Powerglide. I can't remember the year the C6 came out but the car may have one already. Plus a Powerglide is the equivalent of using 2nd and 3rd gear only.

What kind of carb came on the car, 2bbl or 4bbl? The 4bbl motors had different heads and intakes (obviously) that flowed more air. I would look for a set of 4bbl heads (swap meet) if you don't have them and an Edelbrock intake. Edelbrock is the only one I know of offering aftermarket heads but they're pricey ($1000).

You can find a cam and pistons that will be plenty strong and still steetable. Carb is up to you but I think 750-850 cfm should be about right. Go with an aftermarket distributor/ignition cause points suck.

Choose your rear end ratio for what you want it to do (1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, street/strip etc). Ford 9in (might be in the Gran Torino) is your best bet.

Last edited by Jason812; 10-13-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 10-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Cynic

There is no reason not to rebuild the 5.4 if the blocks are still good.

As far as the 351 is concerned....

I would go with a properly built c4 or c6. C4 will be a bit lighter. IF you have the 2v heads, you'll be better off getting a set of edelbrock 351c heads. If you have a set of 4v heads, you'll need to know what style you have, quench or open.

If you want to run iron 4v heads, I have 2 sets ready to go. Both are high compression quench 1971 heads. These make serious power above 5k rpms all the way to almost 10k rpms.

For carb/cam, you need to figure out what gears, car weight, and 1/8 or 1/4 mile racing. For racing use, that 351 will need at LEAST 850cfm to even get in the upper powerband.

Also remember, oiling SUCKS on this block. I would block off the upper oil passages and use a solid roller cam. If you do this, you stand a chance keeping the mains alive.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had a 460 knocking really bad my friend suggested Risolene, I put it in as per instructions and the knocking went away. Traded it in with 280K on it and it was still purring. Its cheap and worth a try.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
2SCREWS>HAIRDRYERS

Send a message via AIM to EATON LSX Send a message via Yahoo to EATON LSX Send a message via Skype™ to EATON LSX
For the 5.4 mod motor.
Those cast iron windsor block are tough. Most Lightning shops use brand new bare Ford 5.4 NVH blocks but thats not what you have. Production 5.4s for 98 and 99 are different IIRC 98 has a non-forged crank and 4-bolt mains and the 99 has a forged crank and 6-bolt mains. Your 99 has PI H/C/I but there 4 thread heads.I would suggest get the timeserts(sp) done to the heads so youll have 8 thread and won't to worry about ejecting spark plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.