Aluminum body f150s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 02:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aluminum body f150s

I don't know if there is a thread about this already but what do you all think of the 2015 f150s containing 97% aluminum? I recently found out about this reading an article in our local newspaper. Do you guys think that it was a good move for Ford? I think it's kind of risky being the best seller in trucks for over 30 years. I also read that the engine would be slimmed down.
I think they shouldve worried about getting a powerstroke F150 instead of worrying about its weight. Chevy colorados are getting Duramax's and Nissans are getting Cummins so why doesn't Ford enter the diesel half ton world with an F150 Powerstroke?
Anyways, I think that the trucks will perform fine but I think it will kill the steel industry and maybe shift some people to the Ram 1500s with more steel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My first thought is that aluminum doesnt rust... and none of those competitors have done a diesel yet, just talk.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 PM

The 2015 Titan will have an available Cummins as well as the 2015 Colorado will have an available Duramax. No talk at all about a diesel F150 though. Dodge already has the ecodiesel available in their 2014 jeeps and ram 1500s
And I agree with the rust free part but the integrity and the body not being as dent proof is a worry to me.
Heavy_GD likes this.

Last edited by CILcoalroller6.4; 01-16-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:11 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Not even steel is dent proof, it's a chance to try something new honestly, ford put out the ecoboost, and the SD is the number 1 selling 3/4 and 1 ton platform last I checked, they don't need a diesel f150 simply because they don't need to put in the effort to waist money like the competitors to keep up with themselves, I like the aluminum body idea, hell my 11 crew cab 5.5' bed 4x4 f150 ways a good 2k more then my 95 cclb drw diesel 1ton. Explain why a 1/2 ton needs to be that heavy? weight reduction is also a great way to improve fuel economy
Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 AM

I give the credit for having the Kahones to try this. Aluminum is lighter and stronger than steel. If this all works out and I cant see were it wont, it will only be a matter of time before the 250/350 is aluminum as well.
But I also agree with the op. They are late to the diesel 1/2 ton party.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
They had a diesel ranger what 30 years ago just didn't do well, if dodge sales go up because of the diesel option I'm sure ford 1/2 tons will get the same powerstrokes from the new van lines that are replacing the econoline series (mini box truck things I can't think of the name as I type )
Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 AM

I like the idea. Like stated before, no rust. Not sure how aluminum stands up to winter conditions with the salt, especially for you northerners...., but I'm sure Ford has done their research. As far as the 80's diesels, we know all too well how great they were in general.... I don't see them putting a diesel in an F-150 for the same reason the Ranger was discontinued.... by the time you would option one out you could step up to a SD for probably not too much money, and have twice the capability....
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I watched a video of them debuting at Detroit, they said the chassis is still mostly steel its mainly the body that is all aluminum, they actually called it "Super Aluminum" said it was a lot stonger than the steel previously used. I was kinda upset when they said they are discontinuing the use of the 6.2 though.
They did say their New 2.7 Ecoboost V6 will out perform some of the bigger engines due to state of the art Turbo tech, so I am looking forward to those tests, though never thought I'd see an engine that small in a 1/2 ton.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

I doubt they would make a F150 diesel for the fact that you can just get a F250 short bed and it is practically the samething just a different look. Putting a diesel in a F150 would be to much for what it's worth. The only F150 I can see having a diesel is the Raptor for the fact it has the heavier suspension compared to the other editions. To put a 6.7 or make a whole new engine would most likely require a more heavier suspension and other things. Where as making a gas the only engine, alot doesn't need to be changed for each edition and year.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:40 PM

Yes, Ford has some balls for entering the nearly 100% aluminum group like that Tesla electric supercar thing, but like I said, its a risk. If the payloads and towing ratings are the same or greater, I think it's a hell of an advancement in aluminum technology. I think that this will bring the full size crew cabs back down to the 5,000 lb range. And Kris, I think it's unbelievable that these half tons weigh more than our old obs powerstrokes.
As for the diesel part, the reason I think Ford should get a diesel is because of the fuel economy numbers the Ram Ecodiesel is showing. 28-30 mpg highway is unbelievable in any truck these days. Also, the longevity of the engine. I think they should drop in the 4.something liter 6 cylinder powerstrokes they used to put in cabovers. That's my two cents.
Good for Ford. I hope that they stay number one. It's all my family has ever owned and it's all I'll ever own. Who knows, maybe I'll have to go to the bank and see if I can take one home when they release them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.