Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

460 sump

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  theforeman57 
#1 ·
So earlier tonight I just got done swapping over a 460 efi to a carb on a 89 4x4. We replaced the high pressure pump on the frame with a little electric pump designed for carbs, put it just after the tank selector.
When I first fired it up, it started instantly, ran for about a minute and we were just adjusting the timing, and it died. pulled the fuel supply from the carb and you could hear slurping sound. so from what I am gathering either
1) the pump we picked up isn't strong enough to pull through the in tank pump ( doubt this)
2) the pickup in the tank has rotten off at a half tank ( doubt this, worked fine before swap)
3) the selector valve is stuck / sh!t housed.

what do you guys think? thanks in advance!
ps - anyone know the color code for the tach, and where in the harness I would find it?

#2 ·
Hey axel I have a selector valve from an 87 with a 460 that had the hot fuel option (returns fuel to tank and 7psi pump in tank) if you need one.
Remove the line from the selector valve to the pump. Attach a hose to the pump inlet and stick the other end of the hose in a gas can. If it runs then the pump is good.
From there I'd hook the pump up to each tank to isolate them from the selector valve. If problems occur on a tank then replace as needed
Do you have a clear fuel filter? If not put one up before the carb as a quick do I have fuel check

#3 ·
The pip signal wire will be in the ignition control module harness ( 6 pin plug mounted on the side of the distributor)

#4 ·
Thanks dan , yes, new fuel filter. thats what I am heading to the shop to check out as we speak. do you happen to know the color code of the wire/ which pin? if not then now big deal, just we are running a gm hei dist., and scrapped the engine wiring harness. I did not hack it up, just removed it. Thanks!

#5 ·
I know nothing of gm hei ignition. Personally I dislike gm to the point I want nothing they make on my ford

#6 ·
Fixed it. when I took the wiring harness off of the engine the wiring for the in tank fuel pump must have been included, cutting power to the pump. Now, Ford designed it so that the pressure from the in tank fuel pump moved a diaphragm inside the tank selector :nunu:. dropped the tank, pulled out the sender, just did a straight straw. back to pumping fuel:wiggle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.