Non-Superduty E4OD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Non-Superduty E4OD

Ok i need a bit of help. I know a lot of people on here have experience with rebuilding E4ODs and 4R100s so i know i will find the answer here.

I own a '97 F250 Light Duty. For those that do not know, it is an F150 but the GVWR is bumped up to 7700, 3.73 gears, a 10.25 rear end, 8.8 IFS, power steering cooler, 7.3L engine oil cooler with remote filter, stiffer springs and still keeps the torsion bars but wears F250 badges.

Now lately i have been slowly converting it to an offroad ranch truck able to tow a medium 5th wheel cattle trailer around town. I have so far went with E range tires in 275/65-17, re-packed the leaf springs, changed all of the front suspension pieces to Moog, and done a mild tune up. Now i am coming to the transmission. The filter and oil have not been changed since we bought the truck in '03 plus i do not know the condition of the factory oil cooler. I plan to upgrade the cooler to a 6.0 powerstroke cooler but before i do that i want to rebuild the trans.

A while back we were towing a 6'x12' u-haul with about a 3/4-ton load on it to a job site. This should be a walk in the park for this truck but something just did not seem right. The engine did not seem to struggle so much as the trans just seemed like it could not get the power to the ground under load. I know there are a lot of other things that need to be fixed but the trans is one of the first things i need done.

I do plan to purchase either a set of gauges for some things like trans temp, oil temp/press, fuel ect. or an SCT livewire. But for now does anyone know if someone like BTS or ATS work on Non-Superduty E4OD transmissions or can someone give me a tip on a shop in Texas that can not only rebuild but beef up as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you have an f250 light duty then you should have either a 5.4, 4.6, or a 4.2, afaik none of those were backed by an e4od which got phased out for the 4r100, but bts does make a trans for the sd which only real difference would be the bolt pattern to the engine, not sure about ats as not many here run those in the obs section anyway

But as far as getting power to the ground you may need to look into the TC, and check the filter, the LD trucks are not known for staying around with that 7 lug BP, good luck in either event
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There is a good chance that is a 4r70w not a 4r100
Old 08-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have checked around and it is the E4OD and the 99+ F150 7700 very few had the 4R100. All F250 LD were only available in 5.4 or 4.6.

Here is a pic of my trans pan and a pic comparing the 4R70W and E4OD

I wonder if it is only the bolt pattern or if it is all the same just re-geared for the SD
Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I honestly couldnt tell you, I was told to avoid those trucks like the plague since they are so miss match for parts
Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Joe you sig looks funny not in rainbow color and so few trucks

Only thing I know about the LD f250 is it didnt last long, and it's about as good as an f150 with the tow package on it the trans can be upgraded, but if your looking to haul anything heavy reliably just get a bigger truck for the job, either way good luck with your build I'm sure John woods or Brian can beef it up for ya, as far as a shop in Texas mite want to check the forums by state to get a good idea of where people are going near ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.