1993 F-150, thinking about getting.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1993 F-150, thinking about getting....

There is a '93 F-150 with a 351W just over 100,000 miles on it, extended cab, 4x4 regular bed. Doesn't look too bad but, fairly clean not all beat up but was still used as a truck.
Guy (who is an acquaintance) is asking $1200.
This comes with another 5.8 with 40,000 on it. Now, I haven't looked at it yet and haven't driven it. I am just asking this because I have no idea about these engines.
He says there is a "skip" in engine. Not sure what exactly he is talking about. DId these have crank sensors that could go bad? What could this "miss" or "skip" be and if that is the only issue...is $1200 a decent price? Any help is greatly appreciate. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its obd1,

oldfuelinjection.com will tell you all about the system, its a speed density system, and the skip could be a few things(bad plugs/wires of the top of my head)
i would do a compression test on it but 100k miles is low for a 351w, my 5.0(same engine family) has 210k on it right now.

1200 is a steal for it, especially with the extra 351 and only 100kmiles on it if the body is straight

Last edited by alaskan155; 07-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan155 View Post
its obd1,

oldfuelinjection.com will tell you all about the system, its a speed density system, and the skip could be a few things(bad plugs/wires of the top of my head)
i would do a compression test on it but 100k miles is low for a 351w, my 5.0(same engine family) has 210k on it right now.

1200 is a steal for it, especially with the extra 351 and only 100kmiles on it if the body is straight

Ok, copy that. I will bring my compression tester and timing light. What should the compression be at? I am really not too concerned with it honestly. I have read that this engine is very durable and built well. He says it drives and runs.
One thing I forgot to mention is he said that in order for the other engine to go in, he would have to replace a bunch of stuff. Does this mean it is a 351 Cleveland or Modified? I read that those are differently built engines and require different mounts, intakes, wire harness etc... and that the Modified is in the big block family and has a different bell housing size??
Seems like that isn't right but...either way, might be nice if I can get that "skip" fixed and have an engine to play with.
Thank you for the reply!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Last edited by sixoh; 07-20-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I pulled my 351w in my 95 f150 at 345k engine was gone through entirely and checked, engine builder didnt beleive my mileage, I tore it down and it was a distributer issue but these engines are amazing IMHO, I would own another anyday, and that miss could just be the timing off a couple degrees, these are supposed to be 10* before tdc iirc, if the body is straight buy it up bud
Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am definitely looking forward to looking at it. If I see anything questionable Ill let you guys know. I have had my F350 for quite a while now but have NO experience with the slightly older F series gas engines or trucks.
I will look for rust also but...honestly it will be a dump run, hunting, and help-the-in-laws-on-the-farm truck. Things that I don't want to dirty my road queen powerstroke doing

I posted some pictures (obviously) above so maybe you guys can tell me if this is something you would be interested in. The tailgate has clearly been replaced...not worried about that. Interior is not tore up and with the extended cab that is a huge plus. The tires look decent as well, he tells me they are slightly dry rotted but with 16" rims new tires shouldn't run me too much.
Speaking of tires. What is the largest tire I can put on this truck without a lift? Stock tire size is fine however, comma, I recently replaced the tires on my 350 and they are 315's. I am guess those will not fit?
Sorry for all the questions but I need to listen to you guys and gleen what I can. Thank you! Oh and Alaskan, thanks for the website!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

I think a 31-32" tire may fit, but 33's will need some bumper trimming, my 95 f150 has 305/55R22's all the way around with no issues tho if that helps, and if your not to far I would be interested in that extra engine to help offset your price on it a bit lol

The truck should handle the jobs you want it to, but expect 8 or less mpg, that's why I have 2 powerstrokes now, to do the jobs my f150 shouldn't and the fuel economy lol
Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am in NC otherwise I'd probably take you up on that! How much clearance do you have with the 305's?
Is that a huge process to switch from a 351W to a Cleveland or Modified? He said that is why he didn't change the motors because he would have to change/replace a bunch of stuff. He isn't mechanically inclined though so it may have been some hack wrench monkey that was blowing hot air. I don't know.....
Old 07-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Another question. Since this is a fairly early fuel injection engine. Is there a chip I can buy, like the G Force, to increase power and maybe improve mileage?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Iirc obd1 started in 94 with these trucks, no idea on chips for them never looked into it, I did a full 3" exhaust and long tube headers and CAI on it, sounded great and pulled like hell, and I have no issues with clearance other than the tire runs the radius arms a bit at full lock, but they are 305 on a 22, so roughly 36' if my math is rite

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.