V10 Exhaust Manifold Studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
V10 Exhaust Manifold Studs

I started the dreaded exhaust manifold stud replacment. Had 4 of 10 broken on the passanger side. Got the wheel well removed. Broke 1 stud, removed 1 and called it a night. Will pick up some dremel cutting wheels to remove the rest. They are rusted so bad the socket will not grab them. Wish me luck.

Not even looking at the driver side yet. It will just make me more discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How are you getting them out?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM

The plan is cut the nuts off the ones to rusted to get a socket on and get the manifold out of the way. Next take vice grips and back them out. The ones broken flush with the block I plan on drilling a hole through the stud and spraying PB blaster behind them. I have to go to TX next week so they can soak while I am gone. Then I hope and ez out will back them out when I get back. I have read of people having good luck with that, but I have also read of some having bad luck. We shall see. The studs are known to break. Some say they are easy to drill and back out. I am hoping mine are.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 PM

The saga continues. Have to cut the nuts off 5 of the studs on the passanger side. The 2 on top were easy. 3 on the bottom not so easy. Burt up the Dremel tool and stopped for Dinner. The 1200 to 1500 the dealer wanted is looking better everyday.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM

Had to cut all but 2 nuts off. Was able to get 15 of the studs out of the head. 5 more to go tomorrow and the hard way. 4 are broken off at the head. One was rusted so small my stud remover would not grab it. Have to go get a right angle drill and some left handed bits in the morning then the saga will continue.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM

This is my place to vent. Got 2 more studs out. Drilled holes in them and used e-z outs. Got 2 with holes drilled and soaking in PB Blaster. The last 1 well lets just say my aim was off. It was a pain to drill and about 3/4 of the way through it I went out the side of the stud into the head above the stud. No water came out so I did not hit anything Sprayed PB Blaster and let it soak too. I will soak the last 3 in more PB tomrrow then fly to Texas until Friday and let them soak. I think I can get 2 of the last 3 once they soak some but the one where I drilled into the head I am a little worried about. The wife is afraid I will blow it up and get a 7.3 Excursion. I am tempted at this point.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Once I get the stud out where I drilled into the head does anyone know what I can fill the hole with and re-tap the hole? JB Weld? I'd like to find something I can inject just in the part that the hole is not supposed to be instead of filling the whole hole. Of would the best bet be heli-coil?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

All I know is you have a lot of patience
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
All I know is you have a lot of patience
Thats the problem. I don't. I have to work on it for a couple hours and walk away. The good thing is it has given me a good excuse to buy about $300 in new tools. Think I might need a plasma cutter to finish it. Wonder if the wife would agree.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Got back from Texas. Got a new E-Z out and can't get it to grab the studs. I get it to the point where I think I am going to break it and it breaks lose from the stud. Any ideas how to get the crazy thing to not slip. It does it for all 3. I even tapped it with a hammer to get it to "seat" more. No luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.