Can't decide about a 5.4, F250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can't decide about a 5.4, F250

I am looking at all kinds of options for a Ford pickup, to replace a Dodge diesel 3500 flatbed I currently own. Don't need a one ton, don't need a flatbed, and probably really do not need a diesel anymore due to semi retirement.
I am really curious about what folks think about the 5.4 gasser in an F250.

Truck specs: 2009, F250, 4x4, auto trans, 5.4 gas, 3.73 gears, 97,000 miles.

Intended use:
I do pull a loaded trailer on short trips around town, about 2 or 3 days/week. Trailer and load gross about 6500lbs. Will pull a car hauler loaded with a car or pickup on short trips around the area, maybe 6 times/year.
Total annual mileage will probably be less than 6000 miles/year. I have another vehicle for a daily driver.

I have always had diesels in the past, but not sure I really need one now.
Will this engine be fairly reliable and pull the loads I intend to haul ok? Or, will it be a real dog that I will hate as long as I own it.
I have no experience with a Ford gas engine in a pickup, since way back in the early 1980's. So, I really know nothing about the newer 5.4 engines.
All opinions, pro and con welcome.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: Can't decide about a 5.4, F250

The 5.4s aren't bad imo, but 6500lbs? There's no way I'd do it without diesel, but that's me

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 AM

My father had a 5.4 king ranch from 2001. We had a 29 foot J-flight BHS(a medium sized camper with a bump out and bunk house at the rear). If im nto mistaken that truck could tow 8500 lbs legally. Up hills the 5.4 was a little underpowered but what could you expect from a 300 hp gas platform. What im trying to get at is that if its newer than 2001 a half ton should be more than enough truck to fill your needs.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I own both a 2001 5.4 Superduty and a 2006 6.0. The 5.4 will tow 8,000 pounds, it just does not like it much, at least uphill. The fuel consumption is more in the gas than diesel, but 5.4 trucks are pretty cheap. If you just need an occasional truck for hauling and medium duty (3-7 thousand pounds) towing, the gas 5.4 is ok. I just kept the 5.4 as a backup, as it was worth more to me than I could get for it.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Well, that does not sound too bad. I know I will miss the power of my diesels, but I am not going far, not going out every day, and we don't have much in the way of hills here.
I think I am going to talk to the seller, and then, maybe go look at the truck. It is located about 2 hours from here.
Jeff
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
you will miss the power of a diesel, However you will not miss the extra $0.70 a gallon for diesel and the extra $100 oil change, What are they asking for the truck? you will not win any drag races with them, but they are very reliable motors (they will go over 250k with basic maintence) I just could not justify buying a 6.4 with all this EPA crap choking them down causing expensive issues and roughly the same fuel economy. I really wanted to buy a 11+ with a 6.2 gas but I couldnt find what I wanted for the right price,
Old 01-23-2013, 03:26 PM

The asking price is $13,500. I have not had time to go look at it yet, but the photos I have seen, show it to be in VERY nice condition. If I like what I see after looking it over in person, I am going to try and buy it for around $11,500, or maybe less. As they say, "Cash Talks". I guess we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman02232 View Post
you will miss the power of a diesel, However you will not miss the extra $0.70 a gallon for diesel and the extra $100 oil change, What are they asking for the truck? you will not win any drag races with them, but they are very reliable motors (they will go over 250k with basic maintence) I just could not justify buying a 6.4 with all this EPA crap choking them down causing expensive issues and roughly the same fuel economy. I really wanted to buy a 11+ with a 6.2 gas but I couldnt find what I wanted for the right price,
Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM

Look for a V10, it gets close to the same mileage as the 5.4 an will have power to spare.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 PM

If you're went the V10 route, you can throw cost effectiveness out the window. Those things drink gas and IMHO I'd rather have the sound of a V8.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM

Ive had both 99 F250's:

V10 w/ Manual tranny

5.4 w/Auto

I will admit its like comparing apples to oranges because of the trannys but the V10 did have more overall power but the 5.4 has held its own too. Honestly I kinda liked the 5.4 a little more because of the lack of problems it has given me as compared to the v10.

Both are good engines however, I say it boils down to what kind of deal you get on either.

PS. I got the same if not better MPG's with the V10 but I think its cause of the stick shift.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.