5.4L 3v 06 F150 flooded... no ignition power? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.4L 3v 06 F150 flooded... no ignition power?

I know, sounds like a counterproductive request here..

i have a 2006 F150 that was flooded from hurricane sandy... its not in bad condition at all, besides the fact that the interior got wet, you couldnt look at the truck and recognize that it got flooded.

The truck was parked in a driveway, back lower than the engine, so the engine has no water in it, oil is perfect, trans perfect etc.. The water level did come up to the very bottom of the gauges though, at least thats the only area that gives me indication of how high the water ever was.

Sine it was salt water... i assumed anything exposed would have corrosion. I pulled ever fuse out of the fuse box in the passenger kick panel, and solenoid, cleaned the solenoid terminals and then replaced every fuse...

Before i did anything, the key won't turn in the ignition, the fog lights stayed on no matter what, no lights worked except the overhead light when you open the door, it flickered on and off.. you'd hear the solenoids clicking.

the engine harness stuff under the hood is perfect.

I've removed all the seats out of the truck except the drivers seat, apparently its stuck on its power motor track right on top of the back left bolt :/ Seat doesnt power...

Is there any other fuse areas or something i should check? Anything that would trip because the truck flooded and now needs to be replaced just so the ignition turns on? The drivers window was down after it was flooded, and not left that way, someone said theres a sensor that makes it go down on 2006+ vehicles. I think this sensor is on the right side frame rail of the drivers seat? looks like a little black metal tube with a wire attached to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Well considering you said the water was up to the gauges, there could be countless things wrong. I'd get rid of it, cars are never the same after they get flooded.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the water was up to the gauges than you no doubt have an engine with water that sat at least to the valve covers, but engines are made to be pretty water tight, so you may now have any issues even with that.

Behind the driver's side interior fuse box is an item known as the GEM (Generic electrical module, if I remember correctly), they're notorious for failing at the slightest hint of moisture and produce the exact electrical symptoms you described. I would start there.

Also, check behind the passenger foot well kick panel. There's a fuel pump relay in there that's designed to trip in the event of a hard accident. It's a black box with a wiring connector on the bottom, and a button on top. If the truck turns over but doesn't start, hit the button and see if that works.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtrucktexan View Post
If the water was up to the gauges than you no doubt have an engine with water that sat at least to the valve covers, but engines are made to be pretty water tight, so you may now have any issues even with that.

Behind the driver's side interior fuse box is an item known as the GEM (Generic electrical module, if I remember correctly), they're notorious for failing at the slightest hint of moisture and produce the exact electrical symptoms you described. I would start there.

Also, check behind the passenger foot well kick panel. There's a fuel pump relay in there that's designed to trip in the event of a hard accident. It's a black box with a wiring connector on the bottom, and a button on top. If the truck turns over but doesn't start, hit the button and see if that works.
thanks, so theres another fuse box on the drivers side? its not a superduty, an F150 though, maybe i just never saw it. We have another 06 that obviously isnt flooded LOL so i can look to see whats supposed to look like what on it at times for reference.

I did pull the entire fuse box assembly out yesterday, although i cleaned up the box "front' where you see the fuses itself, the harnesses that connect to the side and back are all corroded too, even the relays/fuses i put back in, started to corrode....

Only two wires in the harnesses that clip to the fuse panel have broken/corroded through, so ill get the ford oem clips and crimper to fix them, and ill look for a used fuse panel, you're right, using this fuse box would just lead to numerous problems left and right down the road, even if i got the thing to have ignition power and start..

Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirfreak98ss View Post
thanks, so theres another fuse box on the drivers side? its not a superduty, an F150 though, maybe i just never saw it. We have another 06 that obviously isnt flooded LOL so i can look to see whats supposed to look like what on it at times for reference.

I did pull the entire fuse box assembly out yesterday, although i cleaned up the box "front' where you see the fuses itself, the harnesses that connect to the side and back are all corroded too, even the relays/fuses i put back in, started to corrode....

Only two wires in the harnesses that clip to the fuse panel have broken/corroded through, so ill get the ford oem clips and crimper to fix them, and ill look for a used fuse panel, you're right, using this fuse box would just lead to numerous problems left and right down the road, even if i got the thing to have ignition power and start..

Looks like you're on the right path, I'm wrong about the GEM. Apparently Ford went away from those troublesome devices when they released the newer body style in 04', so you don't have one to worry about.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 AM

well an update... I cleaned off most of all inside cabin harness connections with just some lemon/salt combination, same stuff that cleans up pennys , just wanted to eat up any residue corrosion off of anything i could see..

Installed the new fuse box and the only thing that happened different when i finally got the last harness connector on it, was the horn is going off constantly. I just pulled the horn fuse for now, but the red dash alarm light seems to stay illuminated and kind of flicker/flash/pulse.

I didnt get a transmitter/fob with the truck, only the key, which turns but only forward one click, like the ignition is still dead/unpowered.

Could it be a possibility that the XLT package needs the remote to "disarm" the system before i go any further?

when we got the truck, the foglights stayed on when i hooked power to the battery. some inside lamps would light up but thats it, now after the fuse box, its fully dead besides the horn?

Anyone know if the truck flooded, there IS a flood/water sensor either on the drivers seat rail or right up in front of the pass footwell fuse box, has a wire attached to a cup looking like device with a rubber sock kind of thing about 1" wide?

Before i start really tearing through more stuff, i'd hate to find out it was one sensor that renders the truck ignition "useless" until its replaced or repaired.

Even the mirrors don't function, yet the buttons on the door seem perfectly fine, nothing feels stuck or like they're corroded VS normal.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtrucktexan View Post

Thanks, maybe thats the cup looking thing i thought was maybe a flood sensor. I'll snap a pic of it.

Yeah, water was in the engine, roughly 3qts came out with fresh oil :/, i did hand crank engine about a revolution so far, so its not seized.

Drained trans out, lotta water in there too, but no apparent damage, nothing rusted yet, since water sits at the bottom of the trans pan too.

Drained front and rear Diffs, water in there too, look perfect though, no rust, sealed and refilled.

Still need to check and maybe drain the 4x4 transfer case too if that has a vent to it.

Gas tank is sealed.. i mean if you open the filler cap on a warm day, and then on a cold day, you hear vacuum suck in. I'd assume water didn't enter, but i guess i won't know until we pump it all out too.

whats the easiest way to remove all the gas? Disconnect the fuel filter line? we'd need to get compressed air into the tank filler then or something to suck it up and out unless gravity pulls it all out
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM

You should be able to use physics and work it like a siphon.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hmm I was searching for a salvage car to buy (unfortunately I'm a bit short of funds now so I can't afford to buy a new one) and I came up with these water damaged cars. They are so cheap and I intended to buy flooded car but the question is, how hard is it to repair it?

Last edited by TravisL; 06-12-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 AM

It's kinda a luck-of-the-draw because the car could've been in 2 feet of water or 6 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.