5.4l triton, sudden rough idle, high idle on startup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5.4l triton, sudden rough idle, high idle on startup

This site has helped me immensely getting my 7.3 diesels in shape, and now my 5.4L triton is acting up. i'm planning to buy some scanning software that may tell the story since the cel is on, but in the meantime, does anyone have any expertise to impart? I've been through replacing coil packs and the blown spark plug issues, don't think this is related. I've suddenly developed an extremely lopey idle, like it's got a huge cam in it. does it for the most part when in park, not so much in drive although occasionally. at the same time, suddenly on startup it immediately jumps to 2200 rpm then VERY slowly comes back down and settles into that rough idle. no apparent sypmtoms while driving, seems to accelerate smoothly, no noticable lack of power that i would associate with another coil going bad, or a constant miss. any thoughts? some sort of sensor? carbon build up? has 165k on it. bought it at 90k and beyond coil packs and re-threading the plugs, haven't really touched it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM

what year? and is it 2 or 3 valve?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 PM

sounds like cam sensors if its a 3v........
Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Or a vac leak. Check your codes, if nothing turns up put a vac gauge on it and see what you get.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 AM

right, that would have been helpful. it's a '99. no idea on the 2/3 valve, except looking online it looks like the 3 valve wasn't offered till 2004?

also, i had it backwards, it does it primarily in drive when idling, putting it in park clears it up sometimes, but not always
Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 AM

My 03 did that when the coil packs were bad but it had loss of power. But it didn't smooth out when I drove. But when I had to change my plugs it would some times do that. But also when one of my coils were going out it did that one time. But the coil didn't go out all the way when it did that. But I had a computer to hook up to it and it told me misfire or said cylinder
Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM

Ok, so i was able to pull some codes with my new AE diagnostic software. this thing is sweet, athough between not knowing how to use it or the new laptop i put it on, i immediately (by mistake) cleared the codes and light. After tooling around with it a while, i got these to come back:

P0171 system too lean (bank 1)
P0174 system too lean (bank 2)

also P1000 OBD systems readiness test not complete

initially there was another code on the powertrain, can't remember what it was, maybe a misfire code? i'm sure it will return soon enough as it's still running very poorly. as i was playing around with the software, i racked up a few dozen misfires, although looking also at fuel injector misfires on all 8 cylinders at the same time, none ever registered on individual cylinders.

also it pulled a B1450 wiper washdelay switch circuit failure and B1352 ingition key in circuit fault remote. anyone know what these are? i know my steering column and trans selector is a sloppy mess.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 PM

So it sounds like its a fuel issue I'm guessing either fuel pump and or fuel filter. That are some things I would. Heck first
Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 PM

thanks fordman, in looking elsewhere online, looks like they are common codes resulting from dirty maf sensor or the like, but at the same time most aren't having any actual problems with driveablilty. In my case the truck runs terribly at idle, but no (noticable) lack of power on acceleration.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Did you check your sensors cuz if you pull the air filter off it will run ruff at idle and and some times stall out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.