1988 Mustang GT Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1988 Mustang GT Problems

So does anybody have any experience with non mass air 5.0's? Ive got a random slight miss at idle. Also the headlights randomly turn on and off, sometimes when i use the high-beams thy'll come back on.

Checked fuel pressure today and i have 30-31 psi at idle with regulator hooked up. Jumps up to 40-42 psi disconnected. Runs a lot better with it unplugged. What should it be at? Thinking i need a Walbro 255 lph and a adjustable FPR.
My neighbor thinks it might be an injector going bad but i dont want to pull the intake to check. Hoping i can find a easy solution first.

Also...
WOT on the highway it feels like there is something randomly causing reduced power intermittent. Pulls hard then kinda lets up, then pulls hard again, randomly cycles like that. Sometimes it wont do it at all and sometimes it stays "reduced" for days then all of a sudden it just clears up.

I've had the car up for sale a couple times and still have it so i might as well enjoy it. Its just so freaking slow. previous owner thought it had a 347 stroker and 450 hp... Its stock..... Some people will believe anything a used car dealer tells them. What a moron....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 PM

Old 01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Emergency Services

Have you checked the spark plugs? Any of them discolored?
You'll want to check the fuel pressure while driving to get accurate results. Easiest way is to run the hose between the hood and cowl and duct tape the gauge to the windshield so you can see it while driving.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:07 PM

Plugs are new, they looked good when i swapped them out. Ill pull them again tonight. What pressure am i looking for?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Emergency Services

off the top of my head, I believe 42lbs. at idle. when driving, you just don't want the pressure to drop too much.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM

42 to 45 sounds good for a stocker
Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 AM

Is that with the vac line hooked up?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:16 PM

So I think im gunna slap a pump and adjustable regulator on her as soon as i have the spair funding....
My PSD is begging me for a set of Sticks....
Choices choices....
Anywho, I know Walbro 255lph is a good pump, is there any problems running a larger one? is 255lph enough to support a solid 350hp N/A motor? Could I run a 340lph or would it be to much? I'm looking at a 340lph aeromotive stealth.
Also what kind of reg. should i run? I know BBK makes good stuff but they sure are proud of there parts! This Stang is just a commuter right now for when my PSD wants to relax on the driveway. I dont want to spend a bunch of money but eventually make some HorsePressure. Don't want to buy parts twice. Thanks a bunch TurboStang and Gas! Much appreciated!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You should have around 45 psi with the vacuum line to the regulator unhooked. I can't imagine you'd need any more then a 255lph pump on a naturally aspirated engine, even at 350hp.

I would install a fuel pressure gauge and go for a drive and see what it's doing. Since you have an intermittent low power issue it's going to be hard to diagnose. May as well check the fuel pressure out good to eliminate it.

I love a fox body mustang but they can be a pain to diagnose. OBD 1 is not the most user friendly thing out there. I would switch it to a mass air PCM if I was you. Any mods you do to the car are not going to work good if your running a mass air system. I just did a buddies car. I got the PCM from autozone, along with a stock mass air and a mass air sensor connector. I think it was roughly $350 in parts. I just made my own MAF wiring harness.

I'm running a BBK fuel pressure regulator on my 91 mustang and am happy with it. Really seems like most of the regulators are around the same price and I decided to go with someone whose been doing it for awhile like BBK.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:46 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

As far as the lights, is this an 87 or 88? I had a 87 that the fog lights would be running and all of a sudden head and fogs would go off. Its in the wiring, the wires they used were too small and it causes them to overheat and short out till the cool off. You can order the replacement harness from 5.0 Res to, or you can re wire just the fog lights from the switch back to the lights. I did the re wire and all was OK.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.