Should I swap my 1997 7.3 PSD for an F150 gasser? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I swap my 1997 7.3 PSD for an F150 gasser?

Hey guys. I've had my 1997 (OBS) PSD for about four years now, and she is just pushing 196k miles. Great truck but I've been having all sorts of problems with the starting situation. I NEED this truck to be reliable in the winter as I do a lot of hunting and backcountry skiing and this truck sometimes sits at snowy mountain trailheads for days at a time. Luckily, the few times I've been stranded, there were other trucks around for help, and thank God for a $5 bottle of ether (yeahyeahyeah I know all about the dangers--I always disconnect the GPR).

Between the two huge batteries, glow plugs, glow plug relay, massive flywheel, gelling fuel, and cold block, this is just way too many components to need to be at 100% to rely on up in the mountains.

I really love the DRIVING FEEL of the diesel, but I've had it with the cold start situation. I'm considering swapping for an F150 gasser. MPG should be about the same (I'm getting 17 mpg with my PSD), and gas is $0.40 cheaper than diesel around here. I don't tow a boat or a fifth wheel. At most I tow a small trailer with a sled or a quad and I think an F150 should suffice.

What do you think? It breaks my heart to consider giving up the beloved PSD, but I need piece of mind that my truck will get me home safely from the mountains in the wintertime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well it is always a matter of doing what you have to. But before you go nuts lets look at some things first. Such as why wont it start up every time? what have you replaced and what are the symptoms?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck15 View Post
Well it is always a matter of doing what you have to. But before you go nuts lets look at some things first. Such as why wont it start up every time? what have you replaced and what are the symptoms?
Thanks. I've been doing a lot of searching on my symptoms and I have an idea. I'll go ahead and post in the proper subforum very soon. Still thinking of going for the gasser so I just want to hear some thoughts about that.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Alright, Well post a link to it in here so I can find it and maybe help ya fix it so you can keep it.

FWIW a ranger makes a hell of a sidekick for a PSD truck. Both my dad and I have rangers we use as DD trucks and keep the PSDs for fun and heavy work. We both picked ours up for around 1000 bucks and never gave us any issues
Old 10-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Right on, here is the link: No start, relay clicking, loose negative ground

I did consider a Ranger but they're too small. I have an Accord for a DD, while I use the F250 for camping and accessing high-clearance trailheads. I also have a Wildernest camper that only fits on an 8' bed. Also, we like to cart the dogs around in the supercab and the Ranger supercab is a little too small for a Huskie and a Malamute. That's why I'm thinking F150--I still want a full size truck, but just with better cold weather reliability.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

just replied in your other thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.