Need some V10 Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need some V10 Help

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the GAS of Ford trucks and I am looking to get a motor home.

I heard the V10 is the way to go but I am weary of getting an older V10 that blows the spark plugs out. I heard the newer one are fixed...

Can someone give me some advice on what year(s) I should look into or 2valve vs 3 valve (i don't know the difference) and things to look out for?

FYI: I am looking to buy a 24'-26' Class C motor home that can pull my jeep (about 4000 lbs) on a car hauler tandem axel.

Thanks so much everyone, I know I will get some GREAT input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The spark plug issue was resolved in 2002 IIRC. 2005 was the first year for the 3 valve engine. The 3 valve would also be mated to the torqueshift (5r110) trans. This is thought to be a near bulletproof combo. The 3 valves will also have slightly more power.

My dad has a late build 01 V10 (2 valve) and has had zero issues from it. It's been and still is a great truck. The V10 is a great engine and I would recommend both the 2 or 3 valve.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most of the time the reason that the plugs blew out is because they were incorrectly installed. The 3V with the torqshift is a great combo, just don't expect great mileage, 11-13mpg.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i have some friends with E450 motor homes with a v10, like said they work n go n go. but man if you can find one with a 7.3 you'd be set, too bad i havent seen one yet..
Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my brothers V10 is sitting parked right now because it blew a plug out and the threads are gone. How do we go about fixing it?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson41 View Post
my brothers V10 is sitting parked right now because it blew a plug out and the threads are gone. How do we go about fixing it?
They sell diy kits at Napa or I have 2 sitting here they run about 70 bucks plus a coil pack. I had one blow out on my 03 250 miles from home. Listen for a tick sound, it is almost like an exhaust leak or lifter. It usually starts from the plug backing out slowly on its own.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfuel06 View Post
Most of the time the reason that the plugs blew out is because they were incorrectly installed. The 3V with the torqshift is a great combo, just don't expect great mileage, 11-13mpg.
Agreed on the incorrectly installed part. I did my plugs following the directions and they lasted just fine. The early 3v do have the opposite problems, part of the spark plug gets stuck in the head. For years, I'd look for 02-04 or 08-10. I'm not 100% sure when the 3v plugs were fixed, I know for the 3v 5.4 in the V8 F150s they were fixed for 2008 at the very least, if not late MY 07. Might be 07, but most likely 08.

Also, whatever you (the OP) do, look for one with the optional 4.30s. Mod motors love to rev.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Had a buddy who's company owned a Geargetown with the V-10 puller in it and was pretty doggy by itself... couldn't imagine how it would handle pulling another vehicle. I ended up moving and the last I talked to him they were finishing up a deal to trade it in for a new one with a diesel pusher.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforcefreddy View Post
Had a buddy who's company owned a Geargetown with the V-10 puller in it and was pretty doggy by itself... couldn't imagine how it would handle pulling another vehicle. I ended up moving and the last I talked to him they were finishing up a deal to trade it in for a new one with a diesel pusher.
It's not gonna compare well to the diesel in the power department, then again, in the price department is where it'll earn its money. Compare it with just about any other gasser out there, and it'll mop the floor with them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.