Tell me about the Ford V10 engines - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a 04 v-10 that I traded for my current truck. I towed a 9000lb trailer weekly with it durring warm weather. Was powerfull enough but nothing compared to the diesel. I got about 6-7 mpg towing and no better then 9 in town and about 11-12 on the highway unloaded. i put a intake on it and a programer and that helped power and mpg but not by much. Only problems I had with it was it broke the flex plate and fried all the coils when i got a bad coolant leak spraying all over the place. I personally will pay the extra upkeep cost on a diesel long before going back to gas. The funny thing is my wife was the one that convinced me to get a diesel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM

3V didn't come out until the 2005 started production. We got a 2004 V10 ordered on the last day in April 2004. Had we waited a few more days it would have been a 3V order and a 2005 truck.

In mid 2002 the heads were improved to provide more threads for the plugs. Put a little never-seize (just a dusting) on the threads and accurately torque them...they do just fine. If they loosen, they wiggle and destroy the threads...thus popping out eventually. They don't just blow out from a tightened state.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that is if the plugs were replaced at a high mileage, the carbon builds up on the plug and when you replace them you can pull the threads out, i dont know how often this happens though its just something to remember, and also the exhaust manifold nuts rot away and eventually you will need to be replacing gaskets and somehow pulling out all those studs to replace them too.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The ford V10 is a great engine. Gas mileage is not the best though. Very reliable. I've seen them in the 2, 3, and 400,000 mile range with no problems.

The diesel engine will pull better because it's turbo charged. The V10 is naturally aspirated.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey everyone, came here surfing for some info on the 6.4s and ended up in a V10 thread, go figure. I have a 2000 excursion with the v10. Yes, there is an issue with the earlier ones like mine, where they may shoot the spark plugs out of the heads if they're not torqued down properly, because there are too few threads in the head. This, as it was posted was fixed in 02. The 3v heads have the opposite problem, their spark plug design has a long sleeve that in the earlier ones (05-07) can get stuck in the head when removing it. This problem is better known and documented on the 5.4s of that era.

I've changed my own spark plugs ~10k miles ago, and no issues yet.

As far as performance, it's the best gasser you can buy, hands down. Here's a very good article on these; and the results are very typical. It won't win many drag races, but i'll outpull any other gasser out there...

PickupTruck.Com - Part 3: 2007 PickupTruck.com Heavy Duty Shootout

The most interesting part, probably the diesel vs gas comparisson for each brand's offering:
7% grade
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/200...otout4mpg.html

15%
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/200...otout7mpg.html

Basically, it's the gasser that comes closest to a diesel, but it's no diesel.

As far as mileage goes, it depends a lot on the driver. When I switch vehicles in the fall and start daily driving my excursion, I usually get in the 10mpg range around town and 15hwy. I slowly get more and more used to driving it and will hit 12.5mpg city; gotta drive it a bit like a grandpa vehicle, but it is possible to get ok mileage out of them. Yes, 12.5 isn't anything to brag about, but compared to my old f150 or just about any gasser, it's not that bad. Doing it on 87 octane with 15 dollar oil changes, and 10 dollar fuel filters doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by Fosters; 07-08-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Save yourself the headaches associated with the 3 valve V10s.

Theyre absolute JUNK. Ive replaced 5 entire engines under warranty. Due to cats plugging back feeding through the cylinders and really Fing SH!T up. Complete pan to intake. Put new motor in with new cats and update programming is supposed to fix it....

3 valves are INFAMOUS for manifolds. Well all gas V8s and 10s from ford be it 2 or 3 valve are infamous for the exhaust manifolds cracking and the studs breaking in the head. I had 1 3 valve V10 break off 17 studs before i even touched it! how the manifolds even stayed on is beyond me. TINY studs 8mm with 13mm nuts holding on chunks of cast iron? Great idea ford! Then put those steel studs in an aluminum head. Great.
And heres the best parts!
They use cam phasers just like the V8s do. They crap out. Just like the V8s do. They run the same Spark Plugs that the 5.4s do. The infamous ones that break off in the head and you have to spend hours trying to dig it out before pulling the head as a last ditch effort. Or spend a lil green for that AWESOME matco 5.4 extractor set. That works 100x better than the crap rotunda supplies us with.

If you want a gas truck with POWER and LONGEVITY Get a Chevy 2500-3500 with that bad @ss LY6 6.0 they rape V10s. (not that its hard to do my 5.3 will take on F250 V10s and rip em a new one) I know for a fact chained together, Chevy will pull the ford back@sswards every time. Plus theres a very noticeable throttle lag in both V8 and V10s from ford.

Now as for the new 6.2, that seems to be just as peppy in those heavy trucks as the V10s were...
Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 AM

The plugs are known to break off in the head too. I just had mine done at the dealership and they broke 6 out of 10 plugs off in the head. Only a minor setback, the guy called it when he heard what he was doing with it.

We have a bunch of V10's in our fleet at work and they are pounded daily hauling generators off road and all over, we have had zero trouble with any of them. They just drink a lot of fuel. If work paid for diesel, I would never have the V10, but it's great for what we need them to do.

A gas Chevy? Sorry man, not for me.

Scott
Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
Save yourself the headaches associated with the 3 valve V10s.

Theyre absolute JUNK. Ive replaced 5 entire engines under warranty. Due to cats plugging back feeding through the cylinders and really Fing SH!T up. Complete pan to intake. Put new motor in with new cats and update programming is supposed to fix it....

3 valves are INFAMOUS for manifolds. Well all gas V8s and 10s from ford be it 2 or 3 valve are infamous for the exhaust manifolds cracking and the studs breaking in the head. I had 1 3 valve V10 break off 17 studs before i even touched it! how the manifolds even stayed on is beyond me. TINY studs 8mm with 13mm nuts holding on chunks of cast iron? Great idea ford! Then put those steel studs in an aluminum head. Great.
And heres the best parts!
They use cam phasers just like the V8s do. They crap out. Just like the V8s do. They run the same Spark Plugs that the 5.4s do. The infamous ones that break off in the head and you have to spend hours trying to dig it out before pulling the head as a last ditch effort. Or spend a lil green for that AWESOME matco 5.4 extractor set. That works 100x better than the crap rotunda supplies us with.

If you want a gas truck with POWER and LONGEVITY Get a Chevy 2500-3500 with that bad @ss LY6 6.0 they rape V10s. (not that its hard to do my 5.3 will take on F250 V10s and rip em a new one) I know for a fact chained together, Chevy will pull the ford back@sswards every time. Plus theres a very noticeable throttle lag in both V8 and V10s from ford.

Now as for the new 6.2, that seems to be just as peppy in those heavy trucks as the V10s were...
Chevy 6.0 raping a V10 I pulled the same exact trailer with both trucks, Craparado on the way to the park, the V10 on the way back. Please hook up with me in your little truck, I would love to pull you all over the road. As for the throttle lag, I can go off the line with no problem.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post

PickupTruck.Com - Part 3: 2007 PickupTruck.com Heavy Duty Shootout

Your 5.3 wouldn't even be able to keep up with some of the V6s from Ford...
Old 07-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Since this topic has come back to life, I will give an update. I bought a new F250, V10, in Dec. I love the truck. Price was great and it pulls as good as, or better than my old 7.3 when I need the power. Fuel mileage around town, just running errands etc., is at a steady 11MPG. On the highway at 65MPH it is right at 15MPG. When I do a lot of intown trailer towing, (my loaded trailer is grossing 7000#), I get 9.5-9.8 MPG.
I saved around $20,000 by NOT buying a new diesel Ford pickup. I can buy a little more gas for a LONG time with that savings.
I have not had one issue with the V10 YET. If I do have any engine issues, I am set to handle them. My son is a mechanic at the Ford dealer where I bought the truck.
I had 2 of the 2007 GMG 2500's with the 6.0 gas. Both were dogs compared to the V10, and both sucked as much, or sometimes more fuel that the V10. I will take a V10 any day to those sorry 6.0 GMC gassers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.