Diamond in the rough project pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diamond in the rough project pics

Since Iím afraid to modify my 2010 PSD due to warranty issues and Iíve been itching for something to tinker with, I went and got this truck today. 1984 F-250 460cid 4 speed 4x4.

It runs- I drove 3 hrs back to the house with out it breaking down LOL, so that was good. I donít know a hole lot about it but I DO know that itís a low geared SOB and LOVES gasoline LOL.

Itís a diamond in the (very) rough but I think it will be fun to wrench on. Just thought that I would share my project with you guys. Wish me luck! Iím going to need itÖ
Attached Thumbnails
Diamond in the rough project pics-100_0974.jpg   Diamond in the rough project pics-100_0975.jpg   Diamond in the rough project pics-100_0976.jpg   Diamond in the rough project pics-100_0977.jpg   Diamond in the rough project pics-100_0978.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

Hey guys, after a quick glance last night I noticed this things got an electric fuel pump. It's carbureted with a Edelbrock carb. The part number is 1407, I looked this up and it’s a 750cfm manual choke. I don’t see a pressure gauge or pressure regulator… I was wondering what kind of pressure should be running to this carb and should I have a regulator at all.

This is just the beginning of a million mile long road with this gem - So it begins.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Premium Member

Comments?
Morning bump...
Old 10-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

nice truck/project. 460ford.com has a good place to find out out about the engine. I hope to have a similar truck in my future. I am waiting to get a 85 f350 with an aluminum dump with low miles. I am really curious to see how you like the power and ride compared to your new truck.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Well this thing rides rough and is so freaking low geared that the ride is lacking to say the least. The power is more than enough. With the gears in this thing itís wound out at 65mph. It need lots of work but thatís what I bought it forÖto tinker with. I just hope it doesnít need more than Iím willing to put into it lol. Iíve seen that itís got an electric fuel pump with a carburetor and no pressure regulator. So maybe I need to get a pressure gauge and find what its running. It tends to idle a bit high until the throttle is feathered a bit (I'm told this could be too much fuel pressure). It seems to be hitting on all 8 but runs a bit rough. Iíve still yet to pull the plugs or anything as of yet. Played with the timing a little and the distributor was put in in a way that the vacume advance is hittin and won't allow for it to be turned any more- this may have something with it running rought too. I hope I can get to the bottom of the issue. The coolant needs flushed, well lets say it needs some coolant put in it. I checked and itís just rusty water. I donít think that there is any coolant in it at all. Valve covers are leaking so it makes things look pretty nasty on the top of the engine. The heater only works on the floor and on the second click of the fan selector LOL. The speedometer starts to work once you get to about 35mph. The lights all workÖ well I havenít checked the back up lights and the head lights worked until I kicked the high beam selector switch in the floorboard. The seals are worn plum out on both doors/windows. I think Iím just going to find a salvage set of doors and slap them on thereÖ and with having crank windows I donít have to worry about the window motors.

I think Iím going to just go with a flat or semi gloss black for the paint. Maybe just ďmurderĒ this old big block FORD out.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Anybody know what years of the F-series doors will interchange with the mid 80's Fords? I thought that it was 80-86 but after looking at them maybe even newer models will? Maybe up to the early 90's? And what about the bench seat, will that be interchangeable with anything new than 86? Thanks guys...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
doors you are stuck to that exact body style i believe. as for seats well the sky is the limit if you are willing to do some work
Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
80-97 Ford trucks, all body pieces will interchange. Dash's will interchange with a little work, interiors will interchange. Basically, you can take off that stuff, and put anything from those 17 years in it and it will work.

Those 460's are nice, but the only thing you wont pass up is a gas station

I bet its got 4.10's. T-19's are direct in 4th, so with 4.10's at 65mph its roughly 2800rpm ish
Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, I donít have a tachometer as of yet but running down the road at 65-70 (speedometer is jacked) I guessed the rpmís around 3k so youíre probably right on the money. You know I had taken a picture of my truck and put it up against the picture of another truck from the early 90ís and it looked like the door would just bolt right up and now you have confirmed that for me and I thank you for that. I took the truck down to a local shop and had the rear differential, transfer case and transmission serviced. They told me that they couldnít change the front due to the way it was built. I call B.S. on that- hell they could have at least sucked it out and refilled it. Oh well, Iíll do it myself. Oh and I flushed the cooling system as well. But Iíve got a gauge and regulator on the incoming fuel line now. It runs at about 3-4psi. Thereís still a bit of a miss on it at idle. Iíve been working so damn much I havenít had the opportunity to pull the plugs yet. WellÖ I did pull the front drivers side plug and it looked great. I just hope thereís not a week cylinder somewhere. I need to put some insulation down on the floor and then probably some rubber flooring. 1- Itís getting cold out and 2- That 4speed is noisy as hell with just a rubber boot between it and the cab. And then DOORS. These doors are just wore the freak out. The glass is still good but instead of replacing all the rubber and door panels Iím just going to find a set of decent all manual doors to bolt on it. Then give it a quick sanding and paint it flat black.

Fordguy, I might hit you of for some advice in the future being that you have a truck from this era. Thanks for the info, now to find a cheap set of doors to bolt on this thing
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

460s are badass. I have a 460 bored and stroked to 532 in my Fastback. Makes 514 rear wheel HP and 576 rear wheel tq, N/A. i was thinking of putting Nitrous on it someday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.