More power from 5.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More power from 5.4

I have a 2000 F150 lariat 4x4 5.4l extended cab with 170,000 problem free miles. This truck runs great and has been the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. My question is when it comes time to replace the engine is there any emission legal power upgrades that I can do to squeeze just a little more dependable horsepower/torque? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gears -- the best bang for the buck. In my opinion, Ford does not put enough gear in gas trucks. My last truck was a 2002 F150 extended cab with the 4.6 V8. I went from 3.08 gears to 3.73 gears, and it made a huge difference; I wish I had even gone so far as 4.10 gears in it. In that truck, my fuel economy actually increased, both city and highway, because the engine was not working near as hard.

I just went from 3.73 to 4.30 gears in my 2000 F250 V10. Again, huge difference. Before, it couldn't pull its own shadow. Now it feels like a completely different truck. In this truck, my mileage remained unchanged.

When selecting gears, the common advice is to move at least 2 steps to really notice a difference when sticking with your factory tire size. The basic steps in a F150 were 3.08, 3.31, and 3.55 from the factory. Aftermarket includes those plus 3.73 and 4.10 So, if you currently have 3.55 gears, you would want to go with 4.10 gears.

My suggestion is to simply forget that, and just go with 4.10 gears, no matter what gears you have now.


I know you asked for engine mods, but assuming regular oil changes, you are going to be waiting a long time to install a new engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Johnson City, TN
Posts: 2,431
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Supercharge it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-30-2010, 12:47 PM
JJR JJR is offline
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 304
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Look into php tunning for it. They have alot of options for gas engines too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmoreland,Tn
Posts: 1,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasmacgod View Post
Gears -- the best bang for the buck. In my opinion, Ford does not put enough gear in gas trucks. My last truck was a 2002 F150 extended cab with the 4.6 V8. I went from 3.08 gears to 3.73 gears, and it made a huge difference; I wish I had even gone so far as 4.10 gears in it. In that truck, my fuel economy actually increased, both city and highway, because the engine was not working near as hard.

I just went from 3.73 to 4.30 gears in my 2000 F250 V10. Again, huge difference. Before, it couldn't pull its own shadow. Now it feels like a completely different truck. In this truck, my mileage remained unchanged.

When selecting gears, the common advice is to move at least 2 steps to really notice a difference when sticking with your factory tire size. The basic steps in a F150 were 3.08, 3.31, and 3.55 from the factory. Aftermarket includes those plus 3.73 and 4.10 So, if you currently have 3.55 gears, you would want to go with 4.10 gears.

My suggestion is to simply forget that, and just go with 4.10 gears, no matter what gears you have now.


I know you asked for engine mods, but assuming regular oil changes, you are going to be waiting a long time to install a new engine.
100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasmacgod View Post
Gears -- the best bang for the buck. In my opinion, Ford does not put enough gear in gas trucks. My last truck was a 2002 F150 extended cab with the 4.6 V8. I went from 3.08 gears to 3.73 gears, and it made a huge difference; I wish I had even gone so far as 4.10 gears in it. In that truck, my fuel economy actually increased, both city and highway, because the engine was not working near as hard.

I just went from 3.73 to 4.30 gears in my 2000 F250 V10. Again, huge difference. Before, it couldn't pull its own shadow. Now it feels like a completely different truck. In this truck, my mileage remained unchanged.

When selecting gears, the common advice is to move at least 2 steps to really notice a difference when sticking with your factory tire size. The basic steps in a F150 were 3.08, 3.31, and 3.55 from the factory. Aftermarket includes those plus 3.73 and 4.10 So, if you currently have 3.55 gears, you would want to go with 4.10 gears.

My suggestion is to simply forget that, and just go with 4.10 gears, no matter what gears you have now.


I know you asked for engine mods, but assuming regular oil changes, you are going to be waiting a long time to install a new engine.
Great idea, I think I will go with 4.10 gears. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR View Post
Look into php tunning for it. They have alot of options for gas engines too.
Cool thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin6Liters View Post
Supercharge it
I wish! It did cross my mind though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit


 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Trempealeau, WI
Posts: 31,154
Thanks: 116
Thanked 104 Times in 95 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
On the gears note being a 2000 with a 5.4 you have either 3.55s or 3.73s.

Tune it or supercharge it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
On the gears note being a 2000 with a 5.4 you have either 3.55s or 3.73s.
Good call on the gears, I was working off memory before. I left out 3.90 gears in my last reply as well. So, if you have 3.73 gears, moving to 4.10 gears will get you an approximate 10% increase in torque to the wheels. If you have 3.55 gears and move to 4.10, it will be a little over 15% increase in torque to the wheels.

Unless I'm mistaken on the 2000 model F150's, you will need to correct the speedometer, and a tuner is a great way to do so while optimizing engine performance and transmission shift points. Moving transmission shift points around with no other mods can make a truck feel a lot stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors