94 Ranger 4.0L runs rough when first started - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 Ranger 4.0L runs rough when first started

My little 94 Ranger 4.0L with around 220,000 is getting to where it runs rough when first started, especially when the engine is hot. It even dies sometimes. The idle seems kinda erratic too. After a minute or two it will usually settle out and run and drive just fine. It will also usually act right when returning to idle after driving. The idle does seem a little high and occasionally under full throttle it feels like it might miss a lick or two. Still gets consistent 21 mpg, last fill up was 18 mpg but I think that I forgot to trip the odometer or something.
Where should I start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Lightbulb

I would check the 02 sensor and the connections to them. I have a 97 4.0 Ex and i've had to replace several. They can cause a horrible idle and missing because of the way their reading is mapped into the fuel table (from how it was explained to me). But other than that, mine's been bulletproof aside from a seized idler bearing removing the pulley and taking the belt with it If the O2 sensors check out, you might try the usual IAT,IAC, and MAF cleanings in addition to a basic spark plug check. Also, if memory serves the 91-94's have trouble with plastic cracking in the coil pack which could also cause this problem.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

My girlfriends 01 Escape was doing something similar to what you are describing.
I changed Plugs and wires, MAF sensor, IAT sensor, and TPS sensor nothing seemed to fix it.

The mechanic was wanting to change out all of the Injectors (it was still throwing fuel codes)
I still wasnt convinced that was the problem.

A few days later I had myself a bright idea and decided to change out the upper and lower intake gaskets, ran like a top after that
Old 05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Vacuum lines are another thing when it comes to a rough erratic idle. Had a 4.0 a long time ago and that was exactly what it was. Could be any number of things.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the op had an sohc from late 97-up the intake would be most likely, however this is one of the more bulletproof ohv's. Vaccum lines would also present other problems not just a rough idle.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I'm going to start with new plugs and wires, the ones on it have about 50K on them and were installed in 2002. If that don't work then I will move on to more complex stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.