Pulling power of a 5.8? gas engine/ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling power of a 5.8? gas engine/

I am looking at possibly buying a 1997 F250 regular cab, long bed pickup. The seller says it has a 5.8 gas engine in it. Is that a version of the old 351 Windsor V8?
Will this engine have much pulling power. Truck was a Parks Dept. truck here in town, and has about 85,000 miles on it. It has an auto. trans. I need it to tow a loaded double axle trailer that probably has a gross of 7000 lbs. It will just be pulling the trailer around town, but will have to pull it 3 or 4 days/week.
Is this a descent rig for that or will it be gutless?
Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 12:57 PM
back to business

IMO the 351 was (is) a great motor....... for 150's, broncos and cars.

We had a few 250's and 350's with the 351, they were OK.

The '96 had a 460, GREAT, if you like to spend time at the gas station , really, TONS of low end power with that engine.

Then we went diesel and never looked back.

To answer your question, YES it will pull that load, it's not ideal though, IMO
Old 02-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a 1993 f150 with the 5.8 and I have to say that motor could haul quite a bit if your not in a hurry. It sucked down the gas big time though. You'll probably get by but expect some issues down the line with the trans.

Last edited by scagmanf350; 02-06-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

we have a 89 ford with 5.8 and like the above posts ok for power but nothing like a diesel and it does like gas. we use it around the farm and it has been very reliable, 195,000 miles with no major issues.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:41 PM

I own all ford trucks from broncos tho f350 with gas and diesel. My 97 f250 with the 5.8 pulls heavy loads ok up to about 10k. Just make sure it have 4.10 gears and put in a better tranny cooler cause ford use a crappy front seal it will leak if tranny temps start to get hot. U will also only get 12mpg on a good day with out towing and about 7-9mpg towing.It will work but u would save money in the long run getting a diesel if u tow alot.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the input about this engine. I currently am running an old 97, F350 crewcab pickup with the 7.3PS. It has 331,00 miles on it, and still runs good. It is so big, it crowds our driveway, so, I thought about downsizing to the smaller F250 regular cab when I saw it for sale the other day.
I have had 12 of the 7.3 powered pickups over the years, but have no experience with the Ford gas engines. With the low fuel economy mentioned, and the other potential problems, I think i might stick with a diesel.
now, if I can just find an old 7.3PS "work truck" in a regular cab/long bed setup. do not see many of them around.
Jeff
Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I would stay with the diesel power. You will regret it big time. I sold my old 01 7.3 for an 01 F150 with a 5.4. I just traded a guy today for his 03 6.0 cause i missed the diesel power so bad. Just be patient and the right reg cab will come around. They are out there.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:43 PM
back to business

If you are on your twelveth 7.3 I would NOT change, that's a streak you don't want to break. I think you'd be less than happy with a 5 8 anyway. Good luck on your search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.