Need Advice ASAP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Need Advice ASAP

My sister-in-law drives a 95 F150 XL 4x4 5speed. She was saying earlier how when she would try to move from a stop that sometimes the truck would just not want to move, but she found that when it was in 4wd that it would move but JUST DRAG THE REAR TIRES FOR A BIT!! She said this all casually and i about fell out of my chair. We live in Montana and there is snow packed on every road, so in all honesty its not at all hard to break traction. When she was leaving for the night I walked her out to see what the truck was doing... sure as s--- it drug the rear tires for about 5 feet until "metallic click" and they began to spin free.

My question:
I told her I'll pull it in the garage this weekend and have a look, i'm just curious if anybody has any definitive idea of what this could be? I asked her if she sets the e-brake (thinking sticky e-brake) and she said no, she just leaves it in gear. So I will be looking for anything incredibly obvious to jump out at me, but if there is nothing screaming in my face I am pretty clueless on what else could be causing this.

-she also said that after she got to work the other day it smelled pretty bad, i'm thinkin that was most likely brake smell, so i'm going to preliminarily rule out anything not related to the brake system... unless anybody thinks that's unwise...

any and all advice VERY APPRECIATED!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Does it only do it when she first leaves? Either the back drums are shot and sticking, or the parking brake is not releasing.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just called and asked;
Yes, it is only when she first leaves, or when she shuts down somewhere for more than an hour or so, it does not happen at stop lights or stop signs.

And parking brake was my first thought too, but she doesn't even use it. So its never set, so it doesn't need to release (that would have been too easy of a fix... of course)
Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 PM
scuffs *****

Check it anyway, someone may have used it before and its still stuck.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Check it anyway, someone may have used it before and its still stuck.
good call, a question for ya while your listening... to adjust rear drums don't you have to back up and slam on the brakes? (i'm thinking I'll just buy new shoes and hardware, i'm sure its due)
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 PM
scuffs *****

For adjusting them? I don't really know that.. but take them apart, most likley the shoes are worn enough in the drum to cause them to stick... mine used to stick but wouldn't drag the tires, but as soon as I'd touch the brake in the morning it would lock the rears for a second.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

k, thanks for the input man!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM
scuffs *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana250 View Post
k, thanks for the input man!
No problem, feel free to PM me for my number if you need help.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

yea, their supposed to "self adjust" when you back up and lock the brakes down. If your gonna do the brakes anyway....adjust them so there is a light drag on the drum, should still beable to turn the drum. If adjusting is needed later....theres a rubber plug on the back of the drums. Remove it, and use 2 screwdrivers....hold up on the adjuster lock lever, and use the other one to spin the adjuster.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my buddy has as 97 XL F150 and his started doing this this winter when it got really cold. It would stay locked and then when he got moving a bit it would turn the tire but he said that he had to drive it for a while and then after some time he would hear a "pop" and 100% normal again. It did this regularly the mechanic said parking break was freezing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.