6.0 to 460 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Ford Gassers A Place for Diesel nuts to discuss Ford Gasoline powered vehicles!!!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 to 460

I have a 2004 f-350 with the 6.0 in it (179,000 KM or 85,000 miles).
Have had many issues with 3 sets of heads (warranty) and it looks like going for a 4 th set
Not willing to put the 4th set on due to cost so I am thinking I have a 460 from a 1977 f-250 here (100,000 miles on it ) what issues would there be to swap them. Not sure if it is even possible.

tks in advance
-R-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 12:43 AM

You would need pretty much the whole powertrain (transmission, engine, transfer case). Nothing on the dashboard would work without major work. The fuel economy will be trashed (my 96 EFI 460 gasser gets about 11mpg, and you 04 would be way heavier.) You would have to replace the whole fuel system. ABS system would not play ball probably. Basically, you are talking thousands of dollars. It wouldn't pass any sort of emissions test. It would be cheaper to repair 6.0, install studs, and be done with it. Repair the 77 and sell it for funds. Better use than trying to swap.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Premium Member

^^Yes... nevermind the exhaust bolts from the 460's are notorious for snapping. My dad had a '96 F350 with the 460 that he used to tow his 5th wheel. It snapped the exhaust bolts on the exhaust manifold three times before they finally got rid of it. He got to drive my 6.0 F250 ('05) while towing my boat and wondered why he ever bothered with a gasser. The '05 was twice the truck (in his opinion). Add to the fact that he got 10-11 mpg with the thing empty and was lucky to get about half that while towing (6-7 mpg). Towing my 20' tahoe back from Oklahoma he got a little over 14 mpg which was still more than the 460 empty.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

I must say I agree with the above post. Do ot even think about trying to do a diesel for a gasser swap, let alone trying to get all the electronics to work. You would be better off swaping to a Cummins, but you are still looking at modo cash outlay. You could always get a reman engine and drop in there, or better yet send the heads to a good machine shop and see if they can be decked, this is the reason for your failures.... Ford specs for flatness plainly suck. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can understand your frustration, but why even consider it?
Get ARP studs and a heavy duty head gasket.
Hell, you could even send the heads off to Elite Diesel or Innovative Diesel and have them rebuild them for better reliability.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforcefreddy View Post
<snip...>He got to drive my 6.0 F250 ('05) while towing my boat and wondered why he ever bothered with a gasser. The '05 was twice the truck (in his opinion). <snip...>
The 05 superduty is pretty much twice the truck, some configurations of the OBS f350 could not tow more than 8000lbs
Old 11-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info guys Guess i'm stuck with this prob. Maybe trade in for 2010 would be the way to go.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just to pile on, KEEP fixing it. I begged a buddy of mine to trade his 96 gas burner 460 for a diesel. He finally bought an 07 dually. He went from 12-15 empty [and no more than 60mph for those #'s] to 18-20 in his crewcab diesel. the gas burner would drop all the way to 2nd to climb hills and get 6mpg pulling his racecar trailer. The diesel got 12, stayed in od, and could pass anything he wanted to with the trailer. He kept asking why I didn't talk him into it faster. His diesel led to me finally going back and buying a used 06 4x4 6.0. I blame him for my fun everyday since he made me drive him around in his to torment me. I also have a Lightning with 400 rwhp/500tq and I find the diesel is just as much fun if not more to drive. Just get Elite to go through the heads and stud it. I can't say how good they are, but if they are as good at heads as they are at tuning, let them loose.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:10 AM

yeah man....stay with the 6.0!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:46 AM

yeah if you're thinking of going through all the trouble of a 460 swap, why not build another 6.0 for scratch, or do a cummins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.