Boat Motor Problems.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
The Fishing Hole For the Powerstroke.org anglers!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boat Motor Problems....

I was wondering if we had anyone on here that knew much about Evinrude boat motors. I have one that is having low RPM/Idle issues and was looking for some help troubleshooting it. Here is the condensed version of the problem.

1991 40hp Evinrude (E40ELEIA) Rebuilt powerhead and carbs. Run great above 3000 rpm's but runs rough under 3000 rpm's and eventually dies at idle. Tach will jump up intermittently below 3000 rpm's to what I judge to be double the actual RPM's. Carbs have been cleaned, coil replaced, linkage and carbs adjusted numerous times. It seems to be ignition related due to the tach issue, but it's possible it is just a coincidence. I can give more info if needed, but thought I would see if anyone thought they could help.
-Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I have excessive flatulance!!

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nick
Rough idle as in misfires? You don't have wires listed I would check your wires get a water bottle and spray water on the wires and see if you see a little light show. If no light show then I would check for any vacuum leaks they can cause rough idles and misfires. If you can't find anything from that I would turn to the timing check your timing make sure your belt isn't missing any teeth if that engine has a timing belt (If it has a chain then just check the timing)? If your timing is good I would pull the head you make have a burnt valve...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Emergency Services

kinda sounds like water in the fuel but im sure u checked that already...
Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
No burnt valve or timing belt.....it's a 2 stroke. I would check the power pack that controls the coils. There should be an OHM test procedure in your service manual. I had to replace that on mine not too long ago, same symptoms. Same motor also, pretty much. My Carolina Skiff has a Johnson 40, '90 model I think.

You could also check the magneto under the flywheel, sometimes the vibration knocks the pick-up loose and causes a bad reading.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Nick View Post
Rough idle as in misfires? You don't have wires listed I would check your wires get a water bottle and spray water on the wires and see if you see a little light show.
Sorry, I did check spark plug wires too. They are ok. The motor is a two stroke so no valves or timing in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustindiesel View Post
kinda sounds like water in the fuel but im sure u checked that already...
Shouldn't be. I just siphoned out all the old stuff and put new fuel in. I just got the boat and wanted to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinlw View Post
I would check the power pack that controls the coils. There should be an OHM test procedure in your service manual. I had to replace that on mine not too long ago, same symptoms. Same motor also, pretty much. My Carolina Skiff has a Johnson 40, '90 model I think.

You could also check the magneto under the flywheel, sometimes the vibration knocks the pick-up loose and causes a bad reading.
That is kind of where I was leaning. I will work on checking that out. I need to go to the hardware store for a bolt today. Somehow my flywheel got on tighter than usual and I ended up breaking a bolt for my puller...lol. It is still lined up on the keyway and whatnot. I think the nut just got over tightened. Anyway, I'll be back with more questions or to let you all know how it went. I can't wait to get out and start fishing.
-Aaron
Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Well, Justinlw called it. It was the power pack/ignition module (name is different depending on who you talk to I found out). I changed it out this afternoon and it runs WAY better now. I love this site. Go figure, I get the help I needed on the diesel site, not the boat forums, been trying to get help from them for 2 weeks. Gotta love this crowd. Thanks everyone!
-Aaron
Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Justinlw
glad you've got it going. When are we goin' fishin'??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.