Thoughts on boat - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
The Fishing Hole For the Powerstroke.org anglers!

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Still Alive

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Thoughts on boat

What do you all think about this boat? 1980 Grady White 241 Weekender 2006 Engine For Sale In Port Orchard, Washington - BoatTrader.com

Thinking I might have to go take a look at it this week if I get off early enough. Then maybe go talk to the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
I will have to get the loan for more because i want electronics. More than likely a radar as well as a GPS/Fishfinder unit.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

looks like a very clean boat. i dont know much about boats but does the price seem a little high?
Old 11-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Emergency Services

GW is a decent boat. I'm not a big fan of the transom design, but it's not by itself in that.

But boat for the money, I think I'd pass.

You can get much more boat for less coin

I did a little research, gave it a boat load (no pun intended) of goodies (depth/fish finder/24 mile radar/swim platform/hyd. trim tabs/transom lift, blah blah blah..) and came up with this:

Low retail: $9,370
Average: $10,260

I know your an under the water type, but take a look at these links before you go spending your hard earned $$$ sailor:

Boat Review by David Pascoe - Grady-White Offshore 24

(Consider this may be just one person's rambling and not a professional opinion):

Quote:
Since I've done a bit of night-time snapper fishing out on the reefs, drifting along in the dark, I know what a big wave over the transom can mean. You tend to forget what the 3 foot wake of a passing ship miles away can do to the boat. It comes along completely unexpected and catches you off-guard. To suddenly have a couple of feet of water crashing into the ****pit, in the dark, out on the ocean, late at night, when you know that the deck is not watertight, is a terrifying experience. If you survive it. Ever have a boat go out from under you? I have, and I can tell you that what you start thinking about is floating over a reef with your feet dangling down. Suddenly the idea of becoming fishbait bait yourself becomes very real.
You can check used boat prices here:

Used 1980 GRADY WHITE BOATS WEEKENDER 241 prices, specs and options at NADAguides.com

If I were going with a GW I'd look at something like this:

1984 Grady-White 22 Dual Console For Sale In Miami/33181, Florida - BoatTrader.com

Or this for the same $$$more boat/newer/equally good condition/less coin:

1984 Grady-White 22 Dual Console For Sale In Miami/33181, Florida - BoatTrader.com

And take a look at this one:

Bigger, more versatility (has a larger cabin), twins (says singel on the ad?) and newer for less money:

1984 Grady-White 252g Sailfish For Sale In Church Creek, Maryland - BoatTrader.com

Whatever you decide, for that much money, make sure that you have it surveyed and pay particular attention to the decks and transom area, stringers, etc.

Enjoy the topside

SAR Pirate
Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 AM

GW is a descent boat, what are you going to be doing on it, fishing, family cruising..... The difference b/w the boat you found and the ones listed above is the engine.... The one you found has a new engine in it and the owner is trying to pay for it. It seems like a nice boat as long as there are no cracks on the deck/hull/transom. I wouldn't take it offshore though because its only got one engine but like i said before it depends on what your going to use it for. I would see how willing the the seller is to drop the price. I would recommend trying to get it for around 14 and it would be a pretty good deal on both ends. Also be sure to check and make sure it doesn't already come with electronics. also make sure the trailer is included and its in good shape, It is not a bad boat and the newer mericruiser is a good find but make sure you check out if its still under warranty etc... that could be worth a little extra money in itself. Lastly make sure you put it IN the water and RUN it before you buy it!
even though some boats may be an '85 or even '95 the engine could be a ticking time bomb depending on what brand and how many hours. The mericruiser is a great inboard where once you get into older ones then they could just be oil burners or outboards with 2vs.4 strokes and then on top of that some years on certain brands are prone to just never working right. just a thought check out this website, The Hull Truth - Powered by vBulletin, I am on here a lot and you can find out how good your boat really is because these guys have tons of experience.

All in all its not a bad boat for family cruising and some simple fishing like jigging. It is NOT a troller or any big game fisher. But my .02 says don't pay more than 13,500...

Good luck finding the right boat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.