Looking for a new rifle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 06:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for a new rifle.

Im looking to buy a new rifle. The 4 I'm considering are .308 Marlin epress, .338 Marlin Express, .338(in general), and a 45-70. I'm really leaning towards the .338, whether it be in general or the Marlin Express. I want something that will drop a big hog in its tracks, that I can elk hunt with, and also deer hunt with. Right now I have a Remington 1903-A3, chambered 30-06. I love the gun but I just want something different.
Whats ya'lls opinions on these?? I can get any of these minus the .338 Marlin Express for under $550 at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a remington 700 adl 7mm magnum...it will stop a hog and awhole lot more.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM

If you want a rifle that you can elk hunt and deer hunt with, then you might want to consider something besides a lever action (I don't really care for a scoped lever action). If you really want a .338, then get the .338 Winchester Magnum, unless you have the cash for the .338 Lapua. If it were me, and you can get away with it, I would get two rifles. One for hogs and one for deer & elk. It's good to have a brush gun and open country gun. I wonder if the Marlin Express rounds will make it. I just read an article about all the new cartridges that have been introduced in the last 10 years. Not all of them will make the long run.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason812 View Post
If you want a rifle that you can elk hunt and deer hunt with, then you might want to consider something besides a lever action (I don't really care for a scoped lever action). If you really want a .338, then get the .338 Winchester Magnum, unless you have the cash for the .338 Lapua. If it were me, and you can get away with it, I would get two rifles. One for hogs and one for deer & elk. It's good to have a brush gun and open country gun. I wonder if the Marlin Express rounds will make it. I just read an article about all the new cartridges that have been introduced in the last 10 years. Not all of them will make the long run.

I was reading up on the .338 win mag. Wouldnt that be too much for the White Tail that I'm wanting to hunt?? I dont wanna demolish the hogs I'm wanting to hunt either. The hog hunts I've been reading up on say that even if you shoot a hog and it doesnt die, that counts as one of you hogs you are alotted for the hunt. This is why I'm wanting a bigger caliber then my 30-06. I'm new to hunting and guns and ammo. I'm shooting 165gr SST Hornady in my 03-A3. I love that gun. The only downfall is the scope on it. It has a Pecar Berlin 3-7 variable on it. I have a lil problems seeing through it at 100yrds. I'm gonna replace the scope on it probably next month. If my 30-06 with a bigger grain bullet will do what I'm wanting then I'll stay with it. I was just wanting a bigger gun.
I will be doing more hog and deer hunting the Elk. I will probably end up going with the .338 Marlin Express. My dad always wanted to take me elk hunting in Colorado. Unfortunatly we never got to go before he passed away in 2006.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

I love my .308. I have a Browning A-bolt in .308 and that thing is fantastic w/ a Nikon scope on there. I can't get past bolt actions, I love 'em, they've been great to me. No complaints. Maybe that's just me. The only semi auto rifle i have is my TC 22classic. Which, it's a good gun too, but a .22, so no comparison really/
Old 03-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

300Win mag. look into a Remington MKII...
Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Have you ever done a pit bull hunt?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD366.75ci View Post

No I havent. I dont really want a pit bull either. Heard too many bad things about 'em and I have a 2 1/2 year old son. But I've also never been hog hunting.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebulmer1 View Post
I have a remington 700 adl 7mm magnum...it will stop a hog and awhole lot more.
I love my 7mm Mag.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD366.75ci View Post
thats the best way to hunt hogs one pit bull a knife and a nice hand gun just in case

but it you want to hunt hogs with a gun then i say you will be fine with a 30-06 if thats what you have but if you want a new gun the the .338 is a nice all around gun also a .270, 7mm, 300 ultra mag but that JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.