a little gun info please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 11:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a little gun info please

Ok, so short story long. A buddy of mine was talking to me last night and said he ran in to a guy that owed him some money. The guy offered to give him a gun to pay off the debt. He told me he could not remember what type of gun it was but that it was a rifle that was semi-auto with some type of hinge on the stock and wood on it. He asked me if I would look at it for him and tell him, with my limited knowledge, if I thought it was worth what he was owed. I figured from the description and the amount of the debt that I would be looking at a beat up AK. Well I go to his house tonight and this is what he pulls out of the case.

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY M-1A 7.62mm. Like I said I have fairly limmited knowledge of guns so I did some searching to find exactly what it was and what it was worth. I went to the Springfield website and they have quite a few models that look allot alike so I cant decide which one it is. From the serial# I think I have decided that it was built around 1990 or so, but again I am not sure. The values seem to change quite a bit depending on the specific model. Just thought some of you might have some first hand experience or info. I expressed some interest in the gun and he told me I could have it for what the guy owed him, $200.00, I told him I knew he could get more for it and he said he did not care to go thru the trouble of selling it, and does not want it. I just want to be fair to him and myself, so any info would be very appreciated. Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by 66stang; 03-06-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd take it and run, if you like it, last time I saw one in a shop it was around $1100 or so. The guy probably knows what he's got and knows he'll take a loss. From the pics it don't look like its been used or abused, long story short, I'd take it and run to the range.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 AM

Well it's pretty obvious that the guy can't pay the debt off and you'd be doing your friend a favor and the guy that owes the debt if you took it. Since he doesn't want it take it for what the guy owes and both of them will be happy. Just first be sure it's his and not stolen, you'll be pissed if it's taken away for evidence of a crime. It looks clean well kept. My friend has one similar but it was rough when he got it. Shots very acurate but it's loud. It's not a 22 for shoting rabbits.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:02 AM

Thanks for the info. I think it is in prety good shape, just a couple of small scratches in the wood like it was slid into the back of a truck once or twice. The visible wear points where the action comes back (sorry if I am using the wrong terminology here) are just starting to show silver, but I dont know how much use it takes to get to that point since I have never looked at another one up close. thanks again!
Old 03-07-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orng1 View Post
Well it's pretty obvious that the guy can't pay the debt off and you'd be doing your friend a favor and the guy that owes the debt if you took it. Since he doesn't want it take it for what the guy owes and both of them will be happy. Just first be sure it's his and not stolen, you'll be pissed if it's taken away for evidence of a crime. It looks clean well kept. My friend has one similar but it was rough when he got it. Shots very acurate but it's loud. It's not a 22 for shoting rabbits.
Yea, I am a little worried about the theft isue as well, he said the guy he got it from has had it for a few months, but you never know.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 AM

BUY it I would. Shoot it or thow it in a safe for a while You are not gunna get hurt spending $200.00 on it.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orng1 View Post
same issue here... nobody wants to get dragged into any crime investigation.. other than that its good value.. buy it
Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 AM
aluminum tubing engineer

...ditto on the buy it, but i dont know if i would ever try and register it
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thunderinms
BUY! I will buy it from you if you do not want to keep it...

G
Old 03-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Emergency Services

....get the serial number and have it run by your local police or state trooper,explain the situation to them, if it comes back clear, get it and register it. Better safe than sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.