hunting/sniper rifle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
hunting/sniper rifle?

Ok guys so i got the go ahead from the wife to buy a hunting/sniper rifle. I am dead set on a Remington 700 .308 since i have always wanted one.. but not sure what version to get. I have also wanted the JAE-700 stock. I know its going to be a bit heavier with that stock but will it be soo heavy that it will not be able to be used for hunting?

this is what i want to build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you plan on replacing a lot of the parts; stock, barrel, etc. then I would suggest getting a Rem 700 SPS. Last time I checked, that was their cheapest complete rifle.

I just sold my Remington 700 VTR and it was a good set up. Depending on what your budget is or if you just want to look at some absolutely beautiful Rem 700's take a look at Tactical Operations.

I don't know what the weight is on the stock, but it does look good. Check out Manners Stocks as well and see if they have anything you'd be interested in.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
from what i have read the stock is about 7lbs... total the rifle could end up being about 10lbs
Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I love the one you have pictured.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:17 AM

It's a great looking setup. The 10lb weight would get tiring after a while of hiking around with it and I honestly don't know how it would feel for offhand shots.

If it's going to spend more time at the range and less out in the field hunting, I think it would be a great setup to have.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you just want the look of the sniper rifle, or do you want a legitimate 800 yards and beyond rifle?

My hunting rifle weighs about 12 pounds, and I've carried it for miles in varying terrain in several states. A rifle like your describing would weigh at least that much, remember that the majority of the weight is in the barrel and action. A Remington action with a heavy sniper type barrel, a 7# stock, and an appropriate scope is going to weigh a freakin ton.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you want long range anything go here. Snipers hide Just don't ask any questions without doing lots of research first, they hate to answer questions twice. In my book a hunting rifle and a "Sniper" rifle are very different things. So what are you looking to do with it and what is your budget? Range your looking to shoot out to?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am interested in building a "sniper" rifle also. Obviously I don't plan on killing people with it but would love to be able to shoot accurately past 800 yards from a bench. I am also thinking of going with a .308. A friend of mine is a gunsmith and he also mentioned a 6.5X284.

Anxious to see what you build, Raul.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
one day at a time

This what you have in mind Raul?

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Target Tactical - Remington Centerfire Rifles

I wouldn't want to carry it through the mountains but it would be one hell of a sniper/target rifle. If you're really looking for a hunting rifle I'd go with a more traditional stock. You can get a good accurate hunting rifle that's light and sturdy, or go with a full out tactical model. In my experience they are two different animals and no single gun makes a good compromise if you plan on carrying it in the field. Also depends on what kind of hunting you're going to do. If you're calling in coyotes and sitting still, a target rifle is fine. If you're walking through miles and miles of forest searching for elk or deer a light weight hunting rifle is best.

Looking for a true sniper/hunting rifle is kind of like trying to build a 6.0 to make 600 hp for the strip and tow 20k daily all in the same package.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Emergency Services

I am in the same boat that you are. I want a long range capible hunting rifle. This is what I came up with. Its a Ruger Gunsite Scout. .308 bolt action[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.