Anyone have anything bad to say about the M&P 9? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone have anything bad to say about the M&P 9?

Thinking about picking one of these up here soon, and was looking for some feedback. Good, bad, or indifferent. Reading reviews online, most people seem to be pretty happy, but most reviews are several years old. Anyone have an opinion of these? I like the way they feel, and like the fact that they're American made. Any reliability, etc. issues with these?
Product: Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Carry and Range Kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsaparilla View Post
Thinking about picking one of these up here soon, and was looking for some feedback. Good, bad, or indifferent. Reading reviews online, most people seem to be pretty happy, but most reviews are several years old. Anyone have an opinion of these? I like the way they feel, and like the fact that they're American made. Any reliability, etc. issues with these?
Product: Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm Carry and Range Kit
Nope it is an excellent gun. All of my LEO friends have been issued the M&P in 357sig. They all like it alot they were issued Glocks before. I like the 45acp version the best.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 AM

Mine eats way too much lead........
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 AM

I was leaning towards the 9mm only because I was thinking it might be a better "multi purpose" caliber that isn't too expensive to shoot a bunch at the range, but would still be half way acceptable as ccw or hd. Any opinions on caliber?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Emergency Services

My only issue is with the caliber. I have the S&W issued to me at work in .40. The 9mm is a fast round, but not a lot of knock down power. .40 is slightly better, but .45 is best as for a manageble fight ender. Main reason why most LE agencies are no longer using 9mm. I've seen more than one image of bad guy that got hit in the dome by a 9mm round that did not penetrate the skull and dude kept fighting.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 AM

M&P 9 was the first pistol I purchased and I also read alot of reviews (basically random forums to get unbiased opinions) beforehand. I kind of wanted it for the range more than anything as ammo is reasonably priced and to occasionally conceil. So far I have been quite pleased over all with no jams or misfires (knocks on wood). Not the easiest or most comfortable to conceil at first being a double stack mag. but it's doable.

I'll also agree with the above post.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks you guys. Sounds like all in all it's a pretty decent firearm. I'm going to hold off for a month or so until I figure out what works best for me with regards to caliber. Again, thanks for all of the input!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

I guess we need to bump this up to find out what you bought. I went with the S&W M&P 40 and really love it. I also purchased a Blackhawk holster to carry it. I am left handed so finding an inexpensive holster that I liked was a little difficult.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenmell View Post
I guess we need to bump this up to find out what you bought. I went with the S&W M&P 40 and really love it. I also purchased a Blackhawk holster to carry it. I am left handed so finding an inexpensive holster that I liked was a little difficult.
I ended up going with the full sized .40, picked it up on black Friday and have been shooting the snot out of it since. Got a pretty smoking deal on the "range" kit w/ 3 mags, speed loader, useless holster, & some other stuff. I really, really like this gun! Thanks you guys for the advice. I also picked up a 22a for my wife which has turned out to be quite a kick in the pants to plink around with (and a heck of a lot cheaper to feed than my .40). I'm now seriously eyeballin' the GSG 1911-22's so I don't get accused of bogarting my wife's Smith. You guys have any positive or negative experiences with them?
Old 01-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

long trigger pull takes some adjusting while firing down range could use a "lighter trigger" but very reliable nice gun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.