Next 1911 S&W or Kimber - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Next 1911 S&W or Kimber

Okay, ya'll it's input time. As much as I love my issued S&W M&P, after having my Kimber ultra carry for a few months now I think I'm going to transition fully to 1911s. Which means I need to get myself a full size one. Now I have shot both and can't really decide, so I'm looking for real world feed back good or bad between a Kimber Custom TLE/RL II or an S&W 1911PD.

Be it smoothness, accuracy/sights , fit/finish, feeding, malfunctions...whatever.

Kimber
Kimber America | Custom TLE/RL II

Smith
Product: Model SW1911PD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow! I'm surprised nobody has responded to this one. Let's face it, spending other peoples money is fun .

Consider looking at Para USA. They make wicked good 1911s including double stacks. Something about a 14+1 45 ACPs loaded up that is intimidating. They also make classic single stack 1911s and are all priced similarly to the other major manufacturers. Their newest addition is the Para GI. It's a no frills, classic full sized 1911 that has their match barrel and a good set of sites for between $500 and $600 depending on where you buy.

The double stack design uses a different feed ramp because of the stacking and has been known to stove pipe. That said, any gunsmith that is familiar with Para double stacks can fix this in a heartbeat and Para will fix it for you as well at no charge. If you have a double stack and have the feed system worked on it is not likely to EVER jam in anyway after that. They are one of those "never fails to shoot" names in 1911s.

The single stack versions all use the classic feed ramp and simply always work. They are all very accurate no matter which style you get.

Just my 2 cents in spending your money.

Ken....
Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Kimber.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Wow! I'm surprised nobody has responded to this one. Let's face it, spending other peoples money is fun .

Consider looking at Para USA. They make wicked good 1911s including double stacks. Something about a 14+1 45 ACPs loaded up that is intimidating. They also make classic single stack 1911s and are all priced similarly to the other major manufacturers. Their newest addition is the Para GI. It's a no frills, classic full sized 1911 that has their match barrel and a good set of sites for between $500 and $600 depending on where you buy.

The double stack design uses a different feed ramp because of the stacking and has been known to stove pipe. That said, any gunsmith that is familiar with Para double stacks can fix this in a heartbeat and Para will fix it for you as well at no charge. If you have a double stack and have the feed system worked on it is not likely to EVER jam in anyway after that. They are one of those "never fails to shoot" names in 1911s.

The single stack versions all use the classic feed ramp and simply always work. They are all very accurate no matter which style you get.

Just my 2 cents in spending your money.

Ken....
While I appreciate the suggestions, I do not like the paras. They just don't feel as nice in my hands when shooting.

I'm really leaning toward the Kimber becuase I have found little info on the S&W and besides my ultra carry is a great gun to carry and shoot.

My buddy just bought a Springfield operator, but I wasn't a huge fan of it for some reason.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nothing but great words from me about my Kimber.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo347stang View Post
While I appreciate the suggestions, I do not like the paras. They just don't feel as nice in my hands when shooting.

I'm really leaning toward the Kimber becuase I have found little info on the S&W and besides my ultra carry is a great gun to carry and shoot.

My buddy just bought a Springfield operator, but I wasn't a huge fan of it for some reason.
I certainly understand. Kimber makes an outstanding 1911. I found interest in Para after handling one of their single stacks. The only other Paras I've handled or shot were double stacks and did feel different. When I had an opportunity to shoot a single stack I found it to feel very comfortable and not at all "different" like the double stack. Anyway, it was just my 2 cents as Kimber was always my number 1 choice until I got a shot at a single stack Para.

Ken....
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

That's an easy answer Smith 1911, cost being the only reason both are excellent performers.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Turbostang,

I have the custom tle/rl II and it is a nail driver.

I've put a bunch of rounds through it and it has never failed. The night sights are great and the rail fits my streamlight well.

I guess if I had to find something bad to say is that during the summer, it doesn't conceal all that great under a t-shirt and it gets to be a pain to disassemble to clean.

I'll take those few negatives with the quality of the weapon though. Hope this helps your decision.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
1911forum.com has a ton of great info on it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Emergency Services

Ordered the Kimber yesterday . It's about three weeks out for my dealer, but soon I will be rocking the full size Kimber to go with my ultra carry !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.