looking for first gun suggestions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking for first gun suggestions?

hey guys i'm looking for my first gun and looking for some suggestions. i've had some brands to consider like
-h&k
-kimber
-glock
-springfield

looking for some insight on these and maybe some others

i am wanting a .45cal for a concealed weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 06:20 AM

I carry an H&K usp compact .45 It is a really nice gun and I have put thousands of rounds thru it. Any of the guns you listed would be good. What it really boils down to is personal preference. What I would suggest is shoot as many of them as you can. Find out what feels best in your hand and what you are most comfortable with. Good luck in your search, it can be challenging.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Like Mike said, shoot whatever feels good in your hand. I carry a G30SF FWIW, and it's easy to carry for a 45. My Dad and Bro both have the G36 that they really like, but I don't care for the thin grip (single stack mag vs my double stack). If you can afford it, H&K makes a BA weapon as does Kimber
Old 05-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll repeat what has already been said: Try them all, put as many rounds through as many varieties as you can. There's A LOT of physical and mechanical differences between the guns you listed. I'm a big fan of the 1911.

Is there a particular reason you're set on the .45?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Chapter Director

i think i am going to go with the springfield XD 45 acp compact. i am set with the .45 cause of the stoping power for one and a friend of mine convinced me that the price difference between a .40 and .45 is minimal so why not go with the .45

i have been talking to a guy that runs a local gun/police supply store and he said he would sell me the springfield XD 45 acp compact for $550 dose this sound reasonable
Old 05-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds about right to me
Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd_va View Post
i think i am going to go with the springfield XD 45 acp compact. i am set with the .45 cause of the stoping power for one and a friend of mine convinced me that the price difference between a .40 and .45 is minimal so why not go with the .45

i have been talking to a guy that runs a local gun/police supply store and he said he would sell me the springfield XD 45 acp compact for $550 dose this sound reasonable
That price isn't bad, you can find them online a bit cheaper.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a .45, but the whole .45 stopping power thing is kind of a moot point with the quality 9mm self defense ammo. A .45 bullet is only 1.4mm larger than a 9mm bullet. A bonded, hollow point bullet into the vitals, be it 9mm or .45, will kill someone as dead as can be. 9mm is cheaper, less recoil, and the guns have higher capacity.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mojo View Post
That price isn't bad, you can find them online a bit cheaper.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a .45, but the whole .45 stopping power thing is kind of a moot point with the quality 9mm self defense ammo. A .45 bullet is only 1.4mm larger than a 9mm bullet. A bonded, hollow point bullet into the vitals, be it 9mm or .45, will kill someone as dead as can be. 9mm is cheaper, less recoil, and the guns have higher capacity.
Agreed for a day to day gun i use a 9mm with holo point hydrashox. I would also think about Sig, they are really nice.

for my carry I use a Taurus PT111 small and has a nice safety...they also come in .45
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Emergency Services

I'm with the shoot what you're comfortable with crowd. I carry a Glock 23 40s&w and love it. I'm comfortable shooting it, and am confident if shtf that it will fire every time I pull the boom stick.

I prefer 40 to 9mm for the size of the bullet, I shoot well with both but like the snappyness of the 40. It reminds me of something a friend said a while back when someone asked him why he carried a 45. "Well would you rather get shot with a 9mm or a 45acp?" Guy who asked "9mm" Friend "exactly"

I also second the sig suggestion. They are pricy but very good quality. IMO shoot a bunch of different guns and find something you like and are good with, everyone is different. You could have a judge or a 9mm...both will work, but only if you hit your intended target.

A place to check out online is summitgunbroker.com

He has good prices and a lot of times has used guns and police trade ins that will save you $$
Old 05-03-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaysKSFirefighter View Post
It reminds me of something a friend said a while back when someone asked him why he carried a 45. "Well would you rather get shot with a 9mm or a 45acp?" Guy who asked "9mm" Friend "exactly"
That's just retarded.

Because a wound caused by a 9mm hollow point is no big deal, but a hollow point out of a .45 will blow a man in half, and knock both halves of him into the next room. Right? Right.

Last edited by Bad Mojo; 05-03-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.