mosin nagant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mosin nagant

i just baught a 1935 mosin nagant at the gun show the other day. paid $130 for gun, cleaning kit, bayonet, and sling. nice and cheep to shoot so i couldnt pass it up. one question tho after i fire it seems like the bolt is difficult to open at least more so than any of my other bolt actions. i was just wondering if this is a normal thing for these guns or what i can do to make it easier to fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 12:00 PM

no one elts has one? or has shot one with a stiff bolt before? just lookin to see if they are all like that or not
Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the reason that its stiff is because after you shoot it there is a fairly stiff spring that has to be compressed by rotating the bolt to ready the firing pin. it may loosen up with some use but i wouldnt bet on it. Decent shooting guns but deffinately not a Mauser.

Also if you bought it at a gunshow it probly came from some bulk crate purchase and was probly caked in cosmoline, did you get all of the heavy grease out of the bolt?

Jim
Old 05-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
Also if you bought it at a gunshow it probly came from some bulk crate purchase and was probly caked in cosmoline, did you get all of the heavy grease out of the bolt?

Jim
I would have first blamed it on the cosmoline too
Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 AM

yeah i did wipe all the grease that i could off. it was covered stock and all. is the cosmo something that can be cleaned off? or is this just what is expected. woulda baught a mouser, but for $130 i couldnt pass this up with all the goodies and such. what do the mausers usually go for? what ammo does it shoot the same 7.62x54?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:53 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdoxa View Post
yeah i did wipe all the grease that i could off. it was covered stock and all. is the cosmo something that can be cleaned off? or is this just what is expected. woulda baught a mouser, but for $130 i couldnt pass this up with all the goodies and such. what do the mausers usually go for? what ammo does it shoot the same 7.62x54?
Depending on the mauser and where it was built/issued they were chambered in a few different cartriges. price can go from $200 up depending again on where it was built or issued.

As far as the cosmoline goes you will need to take some time and disassemble your rifle and get all taht crap off and out of it. Diesel fuel works really well but there are several things out there that will take it off. That **** gets every where on everything and with use will eventually gum up a firearm if not taken care of. I wont say that will cure all of your problems but it should help.

There are some pretty decent aftermarket sporter stocks available for the Nagant For reasonable money also, if you ever get tired of looking like your deefending Stalingrad.

JIm
Old 05-06-2011, 04:23 AM

Yeah, I'd blame the comoline. On my 91/30 I ran out right after I bought it to see how it shot. It stuck a couple times, so when I brought it home I took some d2 and a rag and washed er good, that stuff is on THICK. Then I just when over it with gun oil. Smooth as silk now.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Heat works well to bleed the cosmoline from the wood stock, or mayb you can find a synthetic replacement. Use a hair dryer, heat gun or even the oven set at around 200*, and the cosmoline will bead up from the wood and you can wipe it clean with a rag or paper towel. Heat will work for the rest of the parts too after being fully disassembled, but you will still need to remove the thin film left behind after heating and getting rid of the majority of the cosmoline
Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 AM

i looked up on youtube and saw some good videos the best i thaught was from iraqveteran8888. so i tore the bolt apart and wiped it down with some bore bright. what is d2? i was looking in to synthetic stocks as well. i allready have a nice synthetic folding stock on my sks. which is what made me want synthetic, not that a folding stock is what any one would want on this particular gun. but i was planning on sanding the origunal stock down and refinishing it at some point to, should i put some heat on it before i sand it? or will sanding do justice?
thanks for the replies,
Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Heat works well to bleed the cosmoline from the wood stock, or mayb you can find a synthetic replacement. Use a hair dryer, heat gun or even the oven set at around 200*, and the cosmoline will bead up from the wood and you can wipe it clean with a rag or paper towel. Heat will work for the rest of the parts too after being fully disassembled, but you will still need to remove the thin film left behind after heating and getting rid of the majority of the cosmoline
I've got a buddy in Phoenix who's big into milsurps. He has an old moving quilt that he puts on the dash of his Tacoma, than lays all the gun parts on that quilt. With the doors shut, and a hot Phoenix day, the sun practically boils all the cosmoline out of the parts and onto the surface. Wipe it down and touch up a bit, and he's good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.