Need advice on buying an first handgun - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to harleyultra1969
Need advice on buying an first handgun

Hey all. Looking for some advice for a city boy looking to purchase his first handgun for personal protection. I'm not planning on getting a CCW at this point, but just looking for something to have at the house in case of emergency.

There are plenty of gun ranges in my area where I could get used to shooting the gun, but I just don't know where to start. Not many of my family or friends have handguns so I'm turning to my .org friends to give me some advice as to where to start.

Any advice is appreciated including shooting courses...guns to look at..etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to harleyultra1969
Anyone?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have 9mm H&K P30L. I think its a great gun. My brother has a 9mm Beretta. The 9mm hollow point is more than enough for protection and if you want to go to the range often, the ammo is very reasonable compared to other calibers.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got a .45 caliber Glock and love it. It's a real easy gun to own, with very little maint.

Plus the 45 cal. hollow points I have are enough stopping power for anything... and each clip holds 13 rounds!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Handgun

From my experience, Glock is the best for a new shooter.
Very simple to operate, easy to learn, safe action, easy to clean.

Start with a 9mm and later you might move to a different caliber.

Easy to get ammo, easy to shoot even for females.

Others... Sig, HK, S&W, involve de-c o c king levers, exposed hammers, things that new shooters don't need. Although, I have carried a Sig for 25 yearsabd by far my favorite, go with a Glock.

Learn the fundamentals, and have fun.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:55 PM

If you have several range in the area. See if any have gun rentals. If so try several different models and brands. This will let you try them before you buy. What works for one doesn't always work for others. Also check with local gun shops and see who they recommend for basic gun class. Check the NRA website for possible classes available in your area.

I agree that caliber is actually a personal choice. Depending on your finances. You could actually start with a .22 cal pistol that would allow you to shoot a lot very reasonably and then step up to a higher caliber. Practice is a very important part of the shooting sport.

I own Springfield Armory,Glock,Walther, and CZ brand handguns. My CCW weapon is an XDm-9mm 3.8 version.

The best Home Protection weapon is actually a shotgun. Very lethal at distance normally encountered in home situations. Accuracy is less critical and safety to others in the home or outside the home is greater due to less penetration issues with a shotgun compared to a handgun. You must always be aware of where the round could travel when fired. Depending on layout of house. Other family members or neighbors could be in danger of injury due to rounds penetrating other inner or outer walls, windows or doors. This is something to consider also. Just my $.02
Old 11-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Handguns are a very subjective and personal choice. But if you ask my opinion, I'd recommend a Glock 9mm, model 17, 19, or 34. The 26 is more for concealed carry. That is, if you are looking for a semi-auto and not a revolver.

Glocks have been around for a long time and have proven to be very reliable. They are simple to use, maintain, and repair. Nothing in this world is cheap, but Glocks are inexpensive in regards to price when compared to other manufacturers. Glocks and Glock parts are readily available. You can use the Glock 17, 17 round magazines, in the 19, 26, and 34. There are many options for sights and upgrades.

I'd choose 9mm since it is a proven self defense round all over the world. Glocks were built around the 9mm platform. Ammo is usually readily available for recreational shooting and for self defense purposes. 9mm is also cheaper than .40 and .45. Some people will say 9mm is ineffective, only you can determine if it's for you.

With that said, go to your local range and shoot lots of guns before you buy. Try many manufacturers and many calibers. The only thing I can tell you is make sure you get something that is quality, proven, and that you are comfortable with.

Some brands to look at ..... HK, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Ruger, Beretta are all very popular and have been proven in the military and law enforcement.

Lots of different options and price range. The guys already gave you some good advice. Keep us updated with what you get!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 AM

For a handgun you just can't beat a Glock but for home defense you just can't beat a Mossberg. Get a 18" 12 gauge version and if you just have to have the pistol feel...get a pistol grip. Best home protection period.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

If you were closer I would open the safe and you could have your pick of guns to try out. While I totally agree that Glocks are great firearms they may not be right for the first timer. I carried a Glock 23 for 13 years and also have a 19 in the safe. But usually I recommend a wheel gun for a newbie. The advice of trying rental guns is spot on and solid advice. I know times are hard but don't give in to "cheap " guns. Something that you may rely on to save your life shouldn't be considered " cheap " by any means. Just remember cheap guns aren't good and good guns aren't cheap. The advice on the shotgun is also a good one for home defense. I would also suggest a hunters safety coarse as it will teach you the fundamentals of safe firearm handling. I also would suggest getting your CCW. Just start reading the local paper and you will see that bad things happen every where. Some of the top name in quality firearms include:
Glock
HK
Sig Sauer
Beretta
Colt
SA
Smith & Wesson
CZ
Taurus
Just to name a few.
If you have any questions you can always PM me. I don't check this section all that often.
NCH
Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
when i was fininshing up college, I worked at a sporting goods store, selling guns. My personal preference is a glock, i carry a 17, and am getting ready to purchase a 26 (will take the mags from the bigger gun).
I dont know if you have kids or not, but another option, while not the most popular, is a taurus because you can lock the gun with a key.
If you are looking for a gun with a true mechanical safety I would look at Beretta, or the Ruger SR9.
I will agree with the others when I say dont just buy a cheap gun to be buying a gun. I would also stay away from the S&W sigmas, and anything with hi point stamped on the side.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.