AR or AK? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AR or AK?

When I sell my truck I was planning on taking a little bit of the money and buying a Benelli M1 with a pistol grip that I saw at a hunting store for just over $500.
But but shooting various shotguns, rifles, and handguns all day long Saturday has pushed me more towards getting a rifle instead. I've narrowed it down to 2 options... and I can't decide. Both will have similar add ons and whatnot so that isn't being taken into consideration.

The AK-47 is simple, easy, accurate when taken care of, and I've found plenty for $500 and under for the whole package. 7.62x39 is a good round IMO, it has a good amount of power behind it without a whole lot of kick, and isn't quite as expensive as the 7.62 NATO or Russian are.

The AR-15 is... the AR-15. Mine would be more of an M4 style. They're accurate, and .223 isn't exactly my favorite round but it is pretty nice to shoot. I'd much rather have an American product than any kind of foreign one ('cept for HK), and I do love the look and feel of the M4 vs the AK, but these cost quite a bit more than the AKs do... I can build a lower for around $300 and I'm seeing uppers for about $500.

Opinions, preferences, comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Love my AK. Added some additional parts to make it a little more accurate and easier to handle and I love it. Shoots great and it's only jammed once on a 3 degree day out at the range on the first 3 magazines I put through it. Jammed once or twice during those first three magazines and has ran perfect ever since on the dirtiest russian ammo I can buy for it.

Keep in mind mine was also one of the cheapest ones available. Picked it up on black friday sale for $379. Romanian WASR-10 1964 build date.

The day I brought it home with new grip and front rail attached.

As it sits now minus the rear cheek weld attachment, 3x magnifier for the red dot, and rear buttstock pad.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavisky View Post
Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 AM

I've decided to go with the AR. It costs a bit more but I'll be happier with it in the long run.

Here's my parts list:
Spikes Tactical stripped lower with 3 position fire selector for when I get my Class III (I can't find any KAC stripped lowers).
MOE lower build kit.
BCM upper group with a 14.5" barrel with the permanently mounted A2 flash hider(brings the total length to 16.1" which means no Form 4 and $200 SBR tax stamp that'll take 6 months to process necessary)
La Rue Tactical 12" free-floating handguard(I want the Daniel's Defense SOCOM handguard couldn't find anything that said how long it was, and the La Rue is a bit cheaper).

Anything else yall would add to the list if it were yours?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:53 PM

I vote AR. They rock and Its really hard to get your hands on a truly great AK most are really bad imports.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to Jesse.James
I love my AR i have the stag model 1 with some add ons. I think you will be happy with any AR really. Have fun with the build but beware they are like PSDs..............VERY addicting!
Old 08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
AR all the way...you can get it in just about any short action cal. you want
Old 08-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar18c View Post
When I sell my truck I was planning on taking a little bit of the money and buying a Benelli M1 with a pistol grip that I saw at a hunting store for just over $500.
But but shooting various shotguns, rifles, and handguns all day long Saturday has pushed me more towards getting a rifle instead. I've narrowed it down to 2 options... and I can't decide. Both will have similar add ons and whatnot so that isn't being taken into consideration.

The AK-47 is simple, easy, accurate when taken care of, and I've found plenty for $500 and under for the whole package. 7.62x39 is a good round IMO, it has a good amount of power behind it without a whole lot of kick, and isn't quite as expensive as the 7.62 NATO or Russian are.

The AR-15 is... the AR-15. Mine would be more of an M4 style. They're accurate, and .223 isn't exactly my favorite round but it is pretty nice to shoot. I'd much rather have an American product than any kind of foreign one ('cept for HK), and I do love the look and feel of the M4 vs the AK, but these cost quite a bit more than the AKs do... I can build a lower for around $300 and I'm seeing uppers for about $500.

Opinions, preferences, comments?
For the price of $500 get the BENELLI M1, It's a steal !!! If you don't get the BENELLI then go with the AR-15 !!! Cause you can get unlimited options for it
Old 08-07-2010, 06:27 PM

ar....preban
Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-2 View Post
ar....preban
I'm in CO... no ban

Anybody know of a good holo sight that doesn't cost upwards of $600?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.