ANYONE SHOOT LEAD BULLETS OUT OF GLOCK? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ANYONE SHOOT LEAD BULLETS OUT OF GLOCK?

I know Glock insists that we do not shoot re-loads or non jacketed bullets out of their guns. Cause of how they cut in the riflings. I shoot reloads in mine, but thus far they have all been jacketed. I wanna shoot lead & don't want to buy an aftermarket barrel. Anyone have any facts for or against???
Thanks BGJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Cynic

Well, it's because of "polygonal rifling". It is what glock uses. This type of rifling allows lead to build up and could cause overpressure. If you REALLY clean the barrel the build up can be minimal.

Most aftermarket barrels for the glock aren't "polygonal" and therefore you may shot whatever.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Cynic

Also, it is said that where the chamber meets the bore, there is a sharper edge on the glock due to the rifling. With "soft" lead rounds, this build up can cause the round not to fully engage and cause case failure.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks Dirk, makes sence. I know lone wolf sells barrels for around 100 bucks, but they are match grade & the chambers are much tighter than the stock glock. You have to pay extra if you want is reamed to glock specs. Who else sells barrels & are they glock spec'd?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Cynic

I dunno. When I grew up, I moved away from glock. Nothing wrong with glock, just isn't my bag. To me, glock is a throw down pistol. I compared my glock to the ruger P95 that I bought for my wife.

The p95 out shot the glock and is easier to operate for her. And the p95 was about 100 bucks cheaper..... I've owned the glock 17, 19, 22, 23, 31, and even a certain model that I can't post, legally. I sold them all except the 22.

Pistols I collect now:

1911 frame style pistols. I own many different calibers now.
S/W and Colt "victory" revolvers.
Colt SAA
Dan Wesson K frames.
.50AE (working a deal now)

.45 XD tactical is the only "glock style" pistol I own. And that is a stretch to say that. The .45 ACP tactical is as accurate as my old Wilson Combat, Kimber, or Colt match grade.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Cynic

Anyone looking to sell a .10mm 1911 style pistol???
Old 03-26-2010, 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=Dirk;1799488]I dunno. When I grew up, I moved away from glock. Nothing wrong with glock, just isn't my bag. To me, glock is a throw down pistol. I compared my glock to the ruger P95 that I bought for my wife.

The p95 out shot the glock and is easier to operate for her. And the p95 was about 100 bucks cheaper..... I've owned the glock 17, 19, 22, 23, 31, and even a certain model that I can't post, legally. I sold them all except the 22.

Pistols I collect now:

1911 frame style pistols. I own many different calibers now.
S/W and Colt "victory" revolvers.
Colt SAA
Dan Wesson K frames.
.50AE (working a deal now)

Dang Dirk, you got it going on in the shootin dept. Do you reload?? 50 AE and 10 mm. Big azz guns for sure. My biggest is the S&W 629. I have a model 27 Smith that is prolly the nicest 357 they ever built. It's on the large frame. It's in the presentation case, target hammer/trigger, sweet sweet gun. I shoot the crap out of my S&W 40 autoloader. I've loaded thousands of rounds for the 38, 357 & 40. I'll shut up. I love my guns.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Cynic

I don't reload any pistol rounds. Cost savings for me isn't there.

I do reload certain rifle calibers and I do reload my 12/20 gauge shotgun shells now.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Shooting lead non-jacket ammo is cheaper. But clean your weapon after each day at the range. The lead will build up in the riflings and foul them out. Causing the round to not be accurate when shooting.

My opinion is to shoot either full jacket or partial jacket.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Cynic

Forgot to say:

I did sleep on this and the only conclusion I can think of is to research the OEM , chamber, ramp, and rifling specs. Then compare the aftermarket barrels. If you find one with with greater tolerances, maybe that will work. I honestly don't know. Most aftermarket barrels are built to HIGHER standards than OEM. So maybe contact the vendors and see if they offer a barrel that allows for soft lead.

I remember reading about SIG testing out the .357 in a autoloader configuration and having the SAME issues. Then they got the bright idea of using the .40 case, neck down to .357 and using a jacketed round.

It was perfect. Output was close to a .357 mag with a 4in barrel and closely matched the .40 as well. Before the unit was put into mass production, they changed the case. You can not modify a .40 case. It will be too short and the 10mm case uses a different style primer. This was to make the R/D money back a lot faster.

Same was done to the .45 ACP on the .400 Corbon. A lot a crap like this was done in the 90's.. few have survived to still be in production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.