got LTC - need suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
got LTC - need suggestions

Hi All,

Well I finally got my postie in the mail and will be picking up my LTC tomorrow.

I've been trying to research as much as I can and have come to the following list of what i'd like to have for firearms. Please comment and/or suggest.

Also, be aware that I'm a newb to most of this. I've fired rifles (.22s) and assorted handguns (.22, .38, .44, 9mm) - none of which I've owned so, maintenance is completely new to me. I've always taken well to target sports and would like long(er) range shooting to be something to work towards...so, here's the list...in the order of planned purchase.

2 x Ruger 22/45 (MK III hunter maybe) - for cheap plinking
1 X .223 rifle
1 X .38 or .357 revolver
1 X Glock 23 in .40
1 X shotty of some sort

Also, what's the deal with convertible barrel pistols (meaning capable of shooting .22 as well as .38, etc..)? are there reliability or accuracy issues, maint. issues?...

thanks!!

Last edited by daveyburt; 12-30-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

i know there's lots of enthusiasts out here so: evening
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Congrats on the carry permit. Sounds like a pretty good list. A .357 revolver will shoot .38's so you get a two for one deal there. A friend has a Thompson Contender with about 6 barrels and has no prob with accuracy. When you swap out barrels, the optics go with the barrel so no problems if you take care of the scope, sights, whatever.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Thanks!

I'll check out Thomsons as well.
I never know there were so many firearms manufacturers!

I'm really just looking for general input as to a good quality unit for each of those items in the list.... and maybe a little about why it would be a good choice.
Does a Glock come close to the reliability of a revolver? -Seems like their claim to fame is reliability - or would a springfield XD be a better choice?

What's the most common rifle caliber of all the choices?
-Mainly just for ammo availability. I wanted the 223 over the 22 for a little more distance but, what would be my best caliber for the buck with good all around usage? - I may hunt with it someday too (I can't see anything bigger than deer tho)

-lots to lean here and thanks to anyone who can offer some insight.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

in my personal opinion, a shotgun is my first choice, excellent for home defense......very versatile weapon.....and if it's a pump action, the sound of the pump racking back will put the fear of God into an intruder......
Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
in my personal opinion, a shotgun is my first choice, excellent for home defense......very versatile weapon.....and if it's a pump action, the sound of the pump racking back will put the fear of God into an intruder......
Kinda hard to stuff one of those into your pants though.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
As far as plastic pistols go...my 2 choices are either the Glock or Springfield XD or XDM. I own a Springfield XD 40.

I would go with either a .40 or .45 cal.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyburt View Post
Thanks!

I'll check out Thomsons as well.
I never know there were so many firearms manufacturers!

I'm really just looking for general input as to a good quality unit for each of those items in the list.... and maybe a little about why it would be a good choice.
Does a Glock come close to the reliability of a revolver? -Seems like their claim to fame is reliability - or would a springfield XD be a better choice?

What's the most common rifle caliber of all the choices?
-Mainly just for ammo availability. I wanted the 223 over the 22 for a little more distance but, what would be my best caliber for the buck with good all around usage? - I may hunt with it someday too (I can't see anything bigger than deer tho)

-lots to lean here and thanks to anyone who can offer some insight.

No semi-auto pistol, comes close to the reliability of a revolver...Revolvers have way less moving parts. I have both semi-auto pistols and revolvers, and love each of them for different reasons.

I own a Springfield XD in .45 Auto. I personally like the XD better than the Glock, I have shot many Glocks, because alot of my friends are in Law Enforcement. The XD IMHO has a better trigger and fits my hand better, but a Glock is also a great proven pistol, but for me the XD is just a more polished weapon.

As for the High-powered rifle, I own an AR-15 or M4 as some call it, which is chambered in .223, while the .223 is a great round and is affordable to shoot, for a high powered round. If you plan to hunt with it I would not get the .223.
I am also pretty sure that it is not legal to hunt deer with a .223 in many states, becuase it is a very light round. I know that up until a few years ago it was not legal to hunt deer with a .223 here in TN.

If I were you I would look at a .308 also called the 7.62x54 round it is a U.S. Military round so there is plenty of ammo available for a good price, and it is a near perfect deer round. The 30-06 is another very popular rifle cartridge, it is an old Military round, that was abandonned some years back, Pre-vietnam. It is still a very popular round.

If I could only have one high-powered rifle it would be chambered in .308, because ammo is available in bulk due to it being a Military round used by many of our a allied countries and the U.S., and Match and/or hunting grade ammo is widely available, it is very accurate, and has great ballistics.

Just my $.02, I hope this helps you make a decision.

If there is anything else you would like to know, please ask away

Tim
Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw View Post
Kinda hard to stuff one of those into your pants though.
you must wear small pants.

thanks for the input guys! I didn't realize the XD was plastic and, yes, i'd like to put both in my hands...which are rather large.

i'm trying to decide on the revolver or .40 for the carry piece but, I'd like to gain proficiency with both.

thanks for the tip on .308 Tim. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Do they make a light load cartridge for plinking so my shoulder doesn't get sore?

Thanks guys! I'd like to spend the money right the first time so, I appreciate your input.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:16 PM

THE Glock and XD are both plastic pistols, not really plastic the lowers are made of a high-tech polymer composite material, most newer pistols are made this way.

There are a ton of loads in .308...They don't kick to badly anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.