Guns...School Me! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Firearms Discussion Discussion of all types of firearms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Bring On The Snow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SuperDutyPSD6L
Question Guns...School Me!

Well guys I am interested in getting a hand gun of some sort just for some range use and personal protection these days ya know. I havent been to the range for quit some time. I am 19 so I am wondering if I can even buy and posses one or do i need to be 21 School me on everything you know! What would be a good place to start? Thanks in advance yall

Austin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 6.0L Fully Built 5R110
Mods:AeroTurbine 4" Turboback, SCT Custom Tunes By Elite Diesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leveled,Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, 35x13.50R18 ProComp Xtreme All-Terrains, Recon Smoked LED Cab & Mirror Lights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 11:23 AM
back in the saddle

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but in Iowa you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun and 21 to purchase handgun ammo IIRC.

Kurt

'06 True Blue/Silver 250 crew cab
ARP's, EGR blocked
AFE stg.2, MBRP 4" pipe
Air Dog 150, ITP reg. return
Bulletproof oil bypass system
Banks technicooler
Ride rite air springs in the rear
EGT, boost, and fuel pressure gauges by DiProcol on the pillar

Plus a few other odds and ends...
post #3 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Bring On The Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but in Iowa you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun and 21 to purchase handgun ammo IIRC.
I have been trying to look online but I cant find any legit websites. I found one saying I can recieve it as a gift just not buy So I am turnign to my very knowledgeable org. members

Austin

Leveled,Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, 35x13.50R18 ProComp Xtreme All-Terrains, Recon Smoked LED Cab & Mirror Lights

post #4 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Remember never point a gun at anyone loaded or unloaded unless defending yourself. If your looking for protection like in a house I would get a shotgun. It's point in the direction and your sure to hit your target.
post #5 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Bring On The Snow

I would never do anything stupid like that. I am very responsible. I want a hand gun just for the simplicity thats its better hidden and is just easier to take with you on like a camping trip and keep in a tent or what not.

Austin

post #6 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I do believe 21 is a federal age on handgun possession, purchase, and ammo. And as 2005F250 said, if you are aiming (no pun intended) for home defense, shotgun hands down. Especially if you live in an apartment. (I carry a Glock G30 (.45ACP) for personal carry) but have a shotgun in my apartment so as not to worry about over penetration!
Happy Shooting! anything else you wanna know???

2009 Subaru WRX Premium
Type RS BOV
CAI
Muffler Delete

Had to park it with some real diesel muscle....
post #7 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Bring On The Snow

Well I guess just to know for sure the age requirements i guess lol. I will get a shot gun some day just wanted to start with a hand first for some reason.

Austin

post #8 of 39 Old 08-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

The federal age limit is 21. You mention owning a hand gun is better because they are easier to hide. First and for most you need to check Colorado's laws on conceal carry and transporting. Here in NC to carry hidden or concealed you have to have a permit. Just looking out for ya, wouldn't want you to get into trouble at such a young age.

2012 F-350 SRW King Ranch
SOLD - 2004 Lariat F-250 4x4
6.5 Pro Comp Lift W/ Fox Shocks, DeeZee Tool Box, 08 Diff. Cover, 37x13.5/20's Pro Comps, Zoodad Mod, SCT w/custom tunes, 4 in EX., AFE Intake, ARP, Recon Lights, High Idle Mod, RCD EGR Delete, Fumoto Valve, Oil Bypass Kit, 03 Turbo, Yukon Gears, Farmboy Stage II Traction Bars, Dieselsite Coolant Kit, Amsoil, HIDS, Edge Insight CS, PHP FICM
post #9 of 39 Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

I'm pretty sure that it's a felony to even be in possession of a handgun until you turn 21. I had intended to give my daughter my 9mm for protection in an off campus apartment. As I understand, if it is found in her possession, it is a felony for her and me also for allowing her to possess it. That means neither of us could ever own a gun again, especially with the current POTUS. Not worth the risk.

PSD- yea, I finally got one.

"Beware the Prophet
seeking profit" Dennis Miller on Algore

'11 F-250, CC, 4X4, KR
post #10 of 39 Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Unapologetically American

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Here's a great site for gun owners in CO, check out the FAQ, there might be an answer to your question there Rocky Mountain Gun Owners - Home

When you are of age look into a Glock 30. Mines a short frame model, but that damn thing is accurate as hell. I was ouery accurate for a shortbarrel pistolt shooting this weekend, and was hitting a gallon milk jug at 30 YARDS! That's a dead b@stard coming at me with a gun, before he's a real threat

Another one I have for summer carry is the Charter Arms Undercover 38cal. It is also very accurate for a short barrel pistol (meaning that short barrel pistols aren't known for long range accuracy). FYI most encounters where you will use a gun are said to be within 10 yards

2006 F350 SOLD
* KMC XD Monsters wrapped in Hankook ATM's
* 08 style mirrors
* 4" TB exhaust
* SCT X2 with Gearhead, PHP and ID tunes
* Edge Insight CTS

* Blue FPR spring
* 6.4 Banjos

* Dfuser coolant filter
* Stage1 MTW turbo

New truck has a Cummins and a handshaker

Last edited by 2006PSDSD; 08-31-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode