98 wrangler swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
98 wrangler swap

I have a 98 Jeep wrangler and for some time now I have been considering a motor swap to a small diesel. I have seen a few articles on the subject and most end up saying dont do it, but ima gonna do it. I have looked around for small engines to put in her and im considering 3 as of now. The Cummins 4bt, VW 2.8 (same as the liberty), and a isuzu. Does anyone here have expericance or completed a similar project? I am also looking for other engines that may be more cost efficient. The small vw 2.8 is a non turboed motor so im not to interested in it. What about a perkins? Im just looking for ideas here cause all these are about the same price so I would like to know which is the most reliable, ease to mod, and has most potential. I seen that Marine diesel engines are a little cheaper. Can these be installed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
If I was to do it I would use a 4bt
Old 01-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

yeah, I think your right.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 AM

The 4 bt is the way to go. I put one in a 84 chevy one ton and it was good.I don't know what you would have to do to the front end because it is heavyfor a wrangler.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

I talked with some guys who have a custom suspinsion shop and told me depending on the weight diff I may just be able to beef up the front coils. The 4bt weighs 700lbs and the current 4.0 weighs 515lbs. I dont know if this is something coils cant fix or not. On the positive side though I have all the time in the world casue its not a primary car for me or the wife. I just want a diesel Jeep excuse me a real diesel jeep.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Not sure but I have a few machines w/ 3.9 cummins in them and they seem pretty tall to put in a Jeep. I love our Hitachi Excavators w/ 4BT engines. Parts are pretty spendy though. And you may have to buy alot to make the swap. You could convert most any marine diesel over but look at the parts cost very close. Check out used, wrecked,or burnt equipment. Ir towable compressors are a dime a dozen and most have either 4045t Deere or B3.9 cummins. You could at least get some dimentions. Get specs on flywheel housings and flywheels to see what will bolt up to a reg. tranny. Most Ind. diesels use a SAE 1,2,or 3 housing pretty standard so someone is bound to make adapters.

I've been kicking around the same idea as you. But I was going to replace a 3.0L in a yota rock crawler with a small diesel.

I don't know much but hope I can help.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 AM

There was a company in Indiana that sold kits to adapt the cummins to any transmission. They use them in alot of delivery step vans. I will look for the company but it was a long time a go that i did my swap.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Thanks guy I appreciate any info you can give
Old 01-13-2009, 08:37 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
4bt swap isn't nearly as bad as many make it out to be. I met a guy at the last dyno that put one in his ranger. Said he got everything but the driveshafts from a wrecked breadtruck that he bought for like $1500-$2000.

He used Dodge driveshafts, Dodge tranny, which bolted right up to the 4bt. He was able to plumb most of the stuff in himself and actually put a 6.7 cummins turbo on it and removed the actuator arm and turned it so it allowed the vanes to partially open. He did this because he planned on making more power and rather then swapping turbo's every time he could just open the vanes up more and more.

In the future he planned on using a stand alone controller to manipulate the vanes so he would have a VVT on a 4bT in a Ranger ...
Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

good info thanks. From everyone outside of here that I have spoken with they told me it would be a nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.