Few welding questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Project Abused

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Few welding questions

So when I bought my welding kit it came with a hand held face sheild so I went and bought a head mounted with auto dimming lens and its still pretty bright to the point where when I look up with the face sheild off i can still see green blots etc for a few minutes. Is this normal or should I find a better lens perhaps one that doesn't auto dim?
==
I tend to pull rather than push so I can't see the welding pool to good should I break my habit and push? Any trick for setting wire speed/power for metal thickness or am i just gonna have to practice and learn this?
==
Sometimes when welding it will cut out for a second while welding, the connections are good and im keeping my hand the same distance from the metal so Im guessing its a wire speed that needs to be turned up, or do you think its something else?

Sorry for the long read and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Ole White

If your see green dots the auto dim is either not working or set to low need to adjust to a higher setting
Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goolsbymd View Post
So when I bought my welding kit it came with a hand held face sheild so I went and bought a head mounted with auto dimming lens and its still pretty bright to the point where when I look up with the face sheild off i can still see green blots etc for a few minutes. Is this normal or should I find a better lens perhaps one that doesn't auto dim?
==
I tend to pull rather than push so I can't see the welding pool to good should I break my habit and push? Any trick for setting wire speed/power for metal thickness or am i just gonna have to practice and learn this?
==
Sometimes when welding it will cut out for a second while welding, the connections are good and im keeping my hand the same distance from the metal so Im guessing its a wire speed that needs to be turned up, or do you think its something else?

If the helmet isn't adjustable then you need a darker one. Otherwise adjust it to like 12 that's where I like to have it.

I like to push so I can see the welding pool, just be careful not to touch the weld with your glove, I use two hands also. But you can do either/or, it just takes practice.

On some welders there is a chart for thickness to set wire speed and amperage, if there isn't on on the inside of the cover then I'm sure you can find one on the net or somethin.

If you're blowing through the metal either move faster or turn down the amperage. If it's popping and blowing through it needs turned down, or you need to speed up, or turn the wire speed up, if its pushing back on ya and skipping then you need to turn the wire feed down or turn the amperage up. It's all a feel, you'll get it set to your liking eventually but find the chart as a starting point.

Hope I helped!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhite7.3stroker View Post
If your see green dots the auto dim is either not working or set to low need to adjust to a higher setting
Yes. Turn it on and look at a light, something bright-ish like a flourescent light or headlight and it should go dim, that's an easy way to test if it's actually dimming.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Ole White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSevenThree View Post
Yes. Turn it on and look at a light, something bright-ish like a flourescent light or headlight and it should go dim, that's an easy way to test if it's actually dimming.
Yep thats how I check mine
Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM

well once you get a case of arc burn on your eyes cause you were being retarded like me... I was welding without a face shield for like 30 min, bad idea
Old 01-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedREDStroker View Post
well once you get a case of arc burn on your eyes cause you were being retarded like me... I was welding without a face shield for like 30 min, bad idea
My grandpa was working in my shop while I was welding and he made sure never to look my direction. That night when he got home his eyes felt like they were on fire. To the point where he though he got some sort of chemical in them when he took a shower. He said it was the most unbearable pain he has ever felt (mind you he is a tough old bird and not much phases him). Needless to say, be careful if you are around someone welding and make sure your dogs arent around either!!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:30 PM

ya i couldnt sleep good for like a week it felt like my eyes were held open all the time so they were all dry. So I personaly say make sure you got a good helmet.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goolsbymd View Post
==
==

Im assuming your using a wire fed mig welder. Personally I pull as I have found I get the cleanest welds from this method. As far as your welder pausing, you might check the spring tensionser on the feeder motor inside the welder cabinet. If it is too loose, it can momemtarily pause if it meets some resistance from spatter accumulating on the tip (lol, that sounds bad). If you have the spring too tight, and something gets hung up the wire inside the cabinet will bend and make a mess. The spring tension should be adjusted dependent on the wire thickness you are using...
Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Check and make sure your helmet is dimming Matt. Flash burn sucks. I have had it more than once
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.