Would this be something you guys would buy?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Would this be something you guys would buy??

As a couple people may know from this thread What aftermarket accessory do you wish existed? im looking to eventually open my own machine shop in the next few years making those kinda niche truck accessories no one else makes and new takes on old ideas and im beginning to start designing up some things to have ready for when i finally open up. Just gonna post some things up as i draw them up and get some feedback from you guys.

Ill gladly take constructive criticism and possible ideas. I am by no means selling these products at this time or any time soon just seeing what you guys think. Thanks guys

First up is an in bed tank that goes around the bed so its takes up the part of the bed that isnt really used and will allow you to still use about 90% of your bed. The capacity is about 80 gallons and it would have a choice of manual valve(still toying with ideas) or electric solenoid valve.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think the only way that would work would be if you went from the fender wells forward. Gonna be hard to get the fuel from behind the wells up to the front of the tank.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
I think the only way that would work would be if you went from the fender wells forward. Gonna be hard to get the fuel from behind the wells up to the front of the tank.
Ahh duh see this is why i need a second set of eyes. Simple enough fix having a line come from the 4 corners go into one then into the main tank. Good catch
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Neat idea.
I know you are still in baby steps here but what kind of protection would you use so a sliding load doesn't damage the tank?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by usteffenhagen View Post
Neat idea.
I know you are still in baby steps here but what kind of protection would you use so a sliding load doesn't damage the tank?
Well id probably have them powdercoated so that would protect the finish as for physical damage i suppose its just like any other in bed tank if you dont want damage to it secure the loads.

Another advantage to this is i would make sure to leave enough room to have a full sized toolbox as well for those who want it
Old 01-31-2014, 07:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yeah, I guess if you aren't securing your loads then you shouldn't have a truck lol
Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by usteffenhagen View Post
Yeah, I guess if you aren't securing your loads then you shouldn't have a truck lol
And maybe i could put some tie downs around it to ease in tying down loads since you would lose at least the back corner hooks for sure
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow! I really like that idea. Here's an idea for you though. Might give you two different products from the original idea. For the newer trucks with one tank, just do the tanks in front of the wheel wells. For OBS trucks the tank section behind the wheel wells could feed the rear tank. All you have to develope or add is one more plumbing package to feed into the filler hose/neck assembly.

As a welder/fabricator and former fab shop owner who has built thousands of tanks, I love to see original ideas, however rare they are these days. This is one that has never even come into my mind and I have built tanks to go in some weird places. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best ones. You have some thought as to cargo tie downs and how you are going to securely mount it to the truck. I don't see this being a cheap product, but with the right marketing it should sell.

From the stuff I read in your other thread, it looks to me like you are looking more at a fabrication business than a machine shop. Some really good ideas floating around though. You are going to have a significant investment in tools, time and sleepless nights. I wish you the best of luck buddy!!

Drew
Old 02-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i'll just throw this out there...maybe you guys are already well aware of this technology...but I know they use it for automitve floor mats and also when they design some kinds of custom kitchen countertops. they use a laser on a tripod that digitally mesures the odd size and layout, (of either the floor on the truck or the counter top.) and the laser measures every little nook and cranny perfectly and creates a 3D image. that technology would work perfectly for making the tanks you guys are talking about and then have them made out of plastic. like injection molded. Again, I'm a dummy but seems like making aprototype that way would work really well. just throwing it out there. Plastic might be easier to just have them made and bolt them in the spaces? good luck!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Chapter Director

Well pending i do end up buying my parents house my business may come to fruition soon than later so hopefully ill be able to start pumping more ideas/designs out here soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednex3 View Post
Wow! I really like that idea. Here's an idea for you though. Might give you two different products from the original idea. For the newer trucks with one tank, just do the tanks in front of the wheel wells. For OBS trucks the tank section behind the wheel wells could feed the rear tank. All you have to develope or add is one more plumbing package to feed into the filler hose/neck assembly.

Hmm i see, yea i was thinking about something like this to get the rear part to drain too. trying to balance ease of install with max capacity is the key here

As a welder/fabricator and former fab shop owner who has built thousands of tanks, I love to see original ideas, however rare they are these days. This is one that has never even come into my mind and I have built tanks to go in some weird places. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best ones. You have some thought as to cargo tie downs and how you are going to securely mount it to the truck. I don't see this being a cheap product, but with the right marketing it should sell.

Yea the new ideas are what i am going to try to pride my business on. Even with stuff that its already out there ill always try to through something into it that makes it better. As for holding it I was toying with using the tie down holes and then providing holes on the inside corner of the tank that your tie downs you took off will bolt to. I cant imagine its going to be cheap since its a lot more material than a normal tank would have but to those guys that cant afford a titan tank but need use of their bed and more fuel the need would be there i feel as long as my cost isnt more than a titan tank. Obviously it would have to be built to order.

From the stuff I read in your other thread, it looks to me like you are looking more at a fabrication business than a machine shop. Some really good ideas floating around though. You are going to have a significant investment in tools, time and sleepless nights. I wish you the best of luck buddy!!

Drew

Yea im thinking something along the lines of 50/50. Some of my ideas are machined parts and some are fabbed so if theres a need thats not being filled and its made of metal then i would make it.

Thanks for the support bud and any ideas ill take, i want to provide those things that people want but doesnt exist
Answers in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroastbeef View Post
i'll just throw this out there...maybe you guys are already well aware of this technology...but I know they use it for automitve floor mats and also when they design some kinds of custom kitchen countertops. they use a laser on a tripod that digitally mesures the odd size and layout, (of either the floor on the truck or the counter top.) and the laser measures every little nook and cranny perfectly and creates a 3D image. that technology would work perfectly for making the tanks you guys are talking about and then have them made out of plastic. like injection molded. Again, I'm a dummy but seems like making aprototype that way would work really well. just throwing it out there. Plastic might be easier to just have them made and bolt them in the spaces? good luck!
Yes that is very viable, it would be nice then you could utilize every possible cubic inch. Unfortunately that wouldn't be until way later. That a bit of technology i dont think i could really spring for at first but if business takes off theres always room for improvement on designs as technology permits. Good suggestion bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.