Need some welding advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some welding advice

Hey all, I need some welding advice , an I know on here there has to be a few of ya that have done quite a bit more than I. I just got into fabricating my own stuff, and just started welding recently. I've tacked and repaired all throughout my childhood but now that I'm a little older, and out of high school, I can afford the equipment. I've bought myself that Lincoln AC 225 arc welder that's available anywhere and has been around for 1000 years. I'm still learning how to set myself up, and create nice beads around what I'm doing, practice makes perfect I suppose. I've TIG welded a time or two, and actually found that to be the easiest for my hand. My questions to you guys is if anyone has any info on how to set myself up for different types of steel, or stainless and all that, just if there is any general rules of thumb to go by any techniques, what stuff is better than others, I've been looking into thermal dynamics Tig welder, that's what I used prior and liked it). I'm determined to teach myself how to weld the proper and clean way, so I can fab some stuff up for my project truck, and have another useful skill under my belt, cause once you learn something, nobody can take that from ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry i missed your post but what are you really wanting to learn. As there is a lot of little things that you can really only pick up with experience and someone there by your side to teach you.

I've been welding for 18 yrs and have many state certs. My prized one being boiler certificate for 2" schedule 160XX pipe 6G.

That being said, I hate sheet metal and bodywork. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-20-2013, 03:41 PM

I'll give you some welding advice... Head over to weldingweb.com ;-) Great site. I'm a hobby welder and I bought a Lincoln Precision TIG 225. It's not fast but very versatile. Also has a stick option. I use it in a similar manner as you are planning and have been very happy with it.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:09 AM

yeah man im trying to learn MIG TIG, and getting better at stick welding. im gonna check that site out. as much as i can learn i want to. also, im a plumber, id like to get my cert to be a pipe welder, that can directly benefit me in my field. thanks man.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:53 AM

As a welding teacher by trade, I've worked in different production and job shops as well. You're out of high school now, take the next step: honey take some night classes at your local community college. It's sounds like you are ready to learn what you need to learn from a class like this.

Most college welding instructors are from industry, and many even hold CWI credentials.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^^lol. He called you honey.

If you were local I'd be greatful to teach you. But, you'd be much better off taking a class. Here we have a few classes that the local vocational high school teacher teaches adult night classes.

What type of plumbing do you do that would require welding? Since most of that is threaded and glued. Pipefitters are typically the ones that weld. For the record, it is a different trade.

Now in order to practice and do projects at home what type of projects are you wanting to do? Reason why I ask is to help guide you to a welding machine that will fit your needs to learn now.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
^^^^lol. He called you honey.

Auto correct kills again! Fml.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 PM

Welding is about 5% head knowledge and 95% "hands on". I am a pressure welder/steel fabricator by trade and there is a lot I could teach you by showing you, not by telling you. It's like trying to give you a haircut over the phone. As said above, take a course to learn the basics or get someone at your side to show you. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Welding is a fine balance between art and science. Those who have reached a high level have studied and practiced... A lot. Not unlike any other professional career, minus the suit and tie. Tip of the hat to all the welders out there.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 PM

There is quite a bit of specialization in welding as a whole. A Lincoln electric AC225 is a very basic welder. It's capable of handling a lot of tasks, but you're limited by the length of your leads and electric cord.. Not to mention personal skill.

I would say for light fabrication jobs you'd be better served by a mid size wire feed welder with a bottle of 75/25 mixed gas. The cool part is that if you have a stainless job, you can switch out gas and run stainless wire. It won't be food grade and may not be the cleanest looking weld, but it would work.

Try to resist the temptation to buy into the popularity of TV shows using a tight welder for everything. The cost of use is considerably higher than the added benefit for most jobs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.