My Welding Cart - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My Welding Cart

This cart has been in work for about 6 months now. I rarely have any free time at work so naturally progress was slow. I wanted a cart that could hold 2 machines and 2 80 cu/ft cylinders. I've always wanted a TIG and I figured if I over built a welding cart I could get the ball rolling to buy one. Last year I found a full 80 cu/ft tank of nitrogen in the back of the shop that no one layed claim to. I traded it straight up for a tank of C25, the problem was, my little mig cart could never handle a tank that tall. So now what?

Started out with the base. Since I have no way to cut sheet metal i had the panels pre-cut and built the cart dimensions around them. The 2 main panels are 12x24" and the tank panel is 8x24". I did also buy a 14" milwaukee chop saw before I started all of this.

The second level is 21" high, just enough to fit my Miller 211 on the bottom

Frame all boxed up and casters welded to the bottom. I found the casters on ebay, when I saw the color I knew they'd fit perfect. I bought an extra set too just incase something happened to one.

Panels layed into place, they did need a little grinding to fit but overall the size was close. By the time I got to this point all my design plans were used up

Figuring out how to secure the tanks was one of the hardest parts. Luckily I found an old cylinder rack in the back of the shop and was able to rob the strap from it. I welded up a little boss with a nut in it and it worked perfect

A couple weeks ago I finally got a coat of paint on it. I used VHT roll bar and chassis paint hoping it'll hold up to a little abuse. After I saw the paint dried on the panels I knew it would be too slick to hold the machines in place.

Ordered a 3x3' sheet of diamond rubber mat from ebay. I could only hope that it would look good. Luckily it did. Cut the rubber sheet up today and glued it down.

Now comes the best part. I did get my TIG in last week. That's what got my *** moving to get the cart done.

I'm waiting on my full sized tank of argon to come in and I'll put the cylinders on the cart. Until then I've got a 20 and a 40 to keep me busy with. I'm still shocked how much different TIG is from MIG. No noise, no smoke, no splatter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice job...good choice on the welders =)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Matt good job on the cart. With desire like that there is nothing you can't build. Let me know when you want me to stop by and show you how to use those things lol.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice cart. Its even better bc u built it urself. And some Beautiful machines on it
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The cart is holding up good so far. 2 machines and 2 cylinders weigh it down pretty good. I actually have two 125 cu/ft cylinders on it, not 80s like I thought they were.

I should have waited and TIG'd that thing together. I'm already making much nicer welds than with the MIG.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can also post some pics . and i will be happy to VISUAL them.....as i am an AWS CWI ( certified welding inspector ) , i also an ASNT LVII in MT, PT, and UT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.