My Flatbed build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Flatbed build

My future plans is to get my own cattle ranch in a few years so I'm prepping as much as I can now. Gonna be making my own flatbed on my truck. Didn't like the OTS bed's dimensions I've looked at and figured I could save some money doing it on my own as well...Not to mention all the learning I get from my first big welding project.

I'll be starting up on Friday I hope (weather permitting as I'm working on an outdoor concrete pad). So Far I got 1/8" tread plate, 4" channel, 3" Channel, 2"x3" angle, expanded metal, 3/4" square tubing and some jeep lights. Along with some random other stuff to help out. It's going to be 7'6" wide and 8'6" long and about 7" higher off the ground than the stock bed.

Two 4" channels will be the long sills or bed frame if you will. 3" channel will make up 6 cross members and most of the headache rack frame. I'll try to take as many pictures as possible and add each night as I progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cant wait to see it come together.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to OnTheBio
Hey man I hope this goes easy for you. I'm a little less than 2 hours from you. I could probably come down on a day next week. Let me know which day you would need hands the most. I'm completely inexperienced in anything with welding but I can do what I'm told haha.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Well as usual everything takes longer than you think it'll take. Haven't really gotten started on the bed yet, mostly all prep work. I have to work outside on some concrete pads that were covered in dirt and leaves and I needed some type of cover for when weather hits.

Also made some adjustable stands with some all-thread, sq tubing, 2x2 angle, some bolts and a lil bit of shimmying. Probably won't do squat tomorrow being x-mas n' all. Come Monday if it's dry enough I imagine I'll get the frame put together and ready for the diamond plate.
Attached Thumbnails
My Flatbed build-img_0336.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0335.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0337.jpg  
Old 12-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Emergency Services

Cool project, can't wait to see the progress!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Frame

Got the bed frame pretty much put together today. Got the outside 'box' squared up and welded together. Then ran some string tight around it to help square up the 4 center cross members, and yea I took into account where the gooseneck hitch sits. Then placed and welded up those 4. Next came a LOT of sanding/grinding off the rust and residual whatever else was on all the surfaces to prepare for the primer. Used Valspar paint cans with their gun attachment and it really worked great.

Slightly modified the all-thread mounts. Drilled holes through the corner of the end cross members and put a nut about 1/2" down the rod so they work like dowl pins. Made it a bit more sturdy, was needed on account of a close call we had early on

I will still add in some extra support and braces here and there for things like the GN hitch door and stuff. That and welding on the diamond plate will require sanding some paint/primer back off in areas but since I'm working outside I needed to take some extra precautions against oxidation.

One note here. I tried grinding/sanding down the surfaces at first with a wire brush wheel at first and not only did it not work very well but the vibrations were insane so it wasn't really feasible (could've had something to do with the max RPM rating). Put a 120grit flap grinding wheel on the angle grinder and it worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
My Flatbed build-img_0338.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0342.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0346.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0356.jpg  
Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Looking good so far
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Like I already said, everything takes longer than you think it's gonna, especially when your working alone. Figured I'd wait a couple days so it'd seem like I got a lil progress done, lol. And hope I don't mess up words too much, been drinkin a bit of wiskey (Pendleton, NW CONUS guys will know it, damn good )

Went ahead and painted the frame black. I didn't do this in perfect order, I know things could be handled better. But a 90"x48" piece of 1/8" tread plate ain't easy to move around by yourself. Then I laid the plate on top. Because I'm doing a funky arse length (8'6") bed I had the metal shop cut the sheets 6 inches short to lay side ways and then used the cutoff on the front. Was gonna use them on the back but my friend pointed out that the front should be a lower impact area and would be better for the extra seam.

Anyways, I messed up a little and the pass side front to rear length was a 1/4" longer than the driver side so I had to make some adjustments. Lined the front 6" plate pieces up with the front cross member and then lined the big sheets up with that. Luckily the sheets were actually 8'6.25" (which made the cutoffs 6.25") so then I just had to mark and cut a slither off the rear to line the tread plate up with the rear cross member. Then to re-enforce the front seam I added in some extra 3" channel, as you can see. Can't see that rear 1/4" cant with the naked eye

Then I measured the deepest lip of the tread plate overhang of the cross members; ended up being .07". So I cut all the rest to the same depth so as to let the tread plate sit on the scrap outer plate (4" flat, 3/16" thick) I had laying around. Cuts were all done with an angle grinder and cutting blade.

I fully welded the middle of the 2 big plates, stitch welded in order to keep down on warping. Probably did 20 different short welds spaced out alternating from pass to drvr side and I still got warping that you can see if you look closely.
Attached Thumbnails
My Flatbed build-img_0357.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0372.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0379.jpg  

Last edited by jerg_064; 12-30-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Next it's onto the sides. I had 2 pieces of the flat plate from a previous project. One a lil longer than needed, one a little shorter than needed.

With the warping on the tread plate and the fact that it's just plain hard to hold up a 102" plate on your own, I ended up using 4 cargo straps and 3 clamps to help me out here. Wrapped a couple straps around the first inner crossmembers on each end, then ran the plate through and tightened them up. Then added 2 more and the clamps. Tack welded the side up where it was flush and had to move both the straps and clamps around to flush different parts up. Oh yea, also a floor jack and piece of channel to help out pushing up that warped middle seems.

In the middle of all this, I measured and cutoff the longer plate. Took that cutoff, evened out that with the shorter flat plate and welded them together. Then ground down smooth one side that'll be on the outside of the pass side. Rinse & repeat same process above.

Next onto Fully welding up the side plates. Fully welded the top seams against the tread plate, will grind and smooth out tomorrow. Not really needed for structural reliability IMO, but for aesthetics. Welded up and ground smooth the front edges as far as I figure the bed will be sticking out so it'll look like one solid piece. I'll be cutting out long wedges on the bottom of the plates at the front of the bed so it's not as obvious that the plate is 1" longer that the crossmembers. The plate pretty much got rid of the warped diamond plate as I assumed it would.

Still have the gooseneck hatch, rear plate with door for storage and light holes covered with expanded metal. The sides and headache rack as well. Looks like I won't be able to finish the top window part of the rack yet due to needing some more 3" channel that my local shop ain't got in stock yet. Hopefully next weekend and it'll be about done. Will cut out & install stake pockets at a future date.

It's coming along.............slowly but surely.
Attached Thumbnails
My Flatbed build-img_0383.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0384.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0387.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0392.jpg   My Flatbed build-img_0394.jpg  

Old 12-31-2011, 05:13 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Its coming along nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.