My Custom Front Bumper Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Custom Front Bumper Build

I figured I could chime in and share with you guys my front bumper build. I am a fabricator by trade(3years) learned how to draw on autocad at work my fiddling around during breaks and I was able to draw this myself. I cut everything out on the CNC plasma table with the exception of the shackle holes which were drilled to 1 5/16.

First, I made a cardboard template. I needed to make this bumper different from any other production bumper so if I ever did want to take an order or two, I wont have a problem. It would have been a lot easier if I could get a computer drawing of the truck itself like most companies do, but this should work just fine. Keep in mind because this is the "prototype" you will see some things that needed to be hacked or changed a little so bear with me.

3/8" plate for the frame mounting. I also cut out a 1/4" backer plate which will act as a washer, but distribute the force better. I am not a fan of the stock frame horns, but in order to make the bumper universal theres really nothing you can do.

1" X 5" wide shackle plate. this will be gusset or boxed into the 3/8 plate. this way you will be pulling directly from the frame. Some bumpers pull from the bumper which is not ideal.

took the main section and got it to where I want it to sit. In the picture I had it hit the grille. the holes in the frame are slotted for lots of adjustment when the bumper is finished.

The main section is 1/4" and the rest will be 10ga. This truck is a daily driver so I didnt really have a need for carrying the extra weight. I feel 10ga will be plenty thick considering there will be bends and weld joints close enough together is would be difficult to bend or dent. 137 lbs just in steel. I am shooting for under 150lbs.
I will be running two piaa 520 6" driving lights and 2 piaa 510 4" fog lights under the headlights. No grille gaurd for me as it is a pain to work on the engine with them.
I will be running a 10-12k portable winch. I will only be using the winch a few times a year so its not ideal for me to be lugging around the additional 100 lbs plus MN winters would kill it in no time. I will run (2) continuos duty solenoids, one for the front and one for the rear so I dont have power going to the bumpers all the time. 350 amp quick connects will be mounted on the bumper. sq. tube will be welded from the hitch revceiver tube over to the shackle plates to the stress is distributed.
Also have a waterproof block heater plugin similar to Marinco's.

The reason why I only did one side of vent holes is because I need a spot for my license plate, quick connect and block heater plug.

Hoping to get the rest of the bumper bent up soon!

-Josh

Last edited by Josh2000Ford; 04-10-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Looks really good man! I'm liking these DIY bumpers How big of a PIA was it to get all that mounted?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks sweet, can't wait to see the end product
Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Man that thing will definitely stand out. Looks great so far.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

on paper it would have been a peice of cake, but because neither of the frame horns were parallel, level or plum it made it a little of a challenge only because I want things to be perfect so they dont haunt me the rest of the build. But theres some things you just need to do although it doesnt look the same on paper. Like I said the frame and frame mount have slotted holes so there is plenty of room for adjustment. both on this truck and any other truck. If i make another bumper, I will cut the holes bigger on the main section of the bumper for the shackles so I can just slap it on where it sits and tack.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Man that is freakin sweet, cant wait for the end product!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks good Im building mine in Solidworks first then hopefully can get to it when the weather warms up
Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good work! I'll probably make mine someday when my truck runs. hhaa
Old 04-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

got all the sheet metal bent and mounted today. It didnt go as planned. When I made the cardboard template, I did it on the passanger side only. The previous owner got in a little fender bender and it must have shifted the fender or something. I was able to make it work, just a gap to fill in a few spots.

Piaas came in last night so that will be the next step! will get better pictures.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:48 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Very nice Your alot farther then I am on mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.