Learn to walk the cup. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Learn to walk the cup.

Thought I would write this for people that are looking to take their tig welding skills to a new level and become a true Tig Ninja.
Using this technique I am able to tig as fast as I can mig and achieve 100% penetration and 100% fusion on a weld the first time, everytime.

So, you think you are a good Tig welder, using your cute little foot pedal and slowly adding filler metal, working it into your piece. Your welds
look like a "stack of coins, layed out" and your are proud of this and you should be. But, a time comes when it becomes nessesary to man up and
take it to the next level. Learning to walk the cup on your tig will enable you to produce better welds, consistantly and make you more of
a qualified applicant for that Tig job that you are dieing for.

Step One- DITCH THE REMOTE!!! Get rid of your remote, weither it be a foot pedal or a rocker switch, you need to figure out how to set your machine
up to run CONSTANT CURRENT. Lift arc, strike arc, whatever it may be, learn how to set your machine up to do it. You will learn to control the arc
with a combo of speed, filler metal size, amount of metal added, and the tip of your torch.

Step Two- SHARPENING!!! Sharpen your tungsten to a point using a cordless drill and a bench grinder. You can also use a tungsten grinder if you have that available
to you also. Then you have opitons. Some people prefer to blunt the nose or point of the tungsten to approx. 1/4 the tungsten width. This will force
the arc in a direct path to your work. Or you can just leave the point there. This will let the arc "wave" over the piece on the direction that you
point it. The angle that you grind the tungsten will also vary the amount of "wave" that you will have. A more pointed tungsten will wave more, but will
naturally erode at much faster rate than one that is shallower.

Step Three- SETUP!!! I personally think that a #6 cup and a Gas lense on the torch will give you a better starting point for learning. The #6 is broad enough
to let you weave the torch back and forth untill you learn the proper wrist movement. A gas lense is a pita to get use to, due to that fact that it
is like welding with a 20lb donkey dick, but it defuses the gas much better and results in much less of a chance of porosity and/or spitback.
Insert your tungsten in the torch and leave it approx. 1/8th out of the cup. This can be played with as you learn. You will find what works for you and
doesn't. Also set your machine to (give or take, as all machines are different) 75 to 80 amps.

Step Four- GET READY!!! Start with two 1/8" plates that are beveled down to 1/32" at the ends and tacked together. Now that you are all set up, place your cup on
the piece of metal to be welded. Angle your torch at a 45 degree angle to the piece but don't let the tungsten touch the piece. Now strike your arc, and "weave"
the cup across the metal. Imagine your walking a heavy barrel across the floor or walking a pop can across a table. Start slow and let the heat build up
in the metal. You will begin to see the metal form what looks to be a kernal of corn in front of the tungsten, with a dancing "eye" in the middle of it.
This means that you are getting good penetration into the metal. Continue to walk the torch across the piece, varying your speed so you can mantain
that molten kernal. You will feel the cup start to gain traction on the metal as it heats up. If you lose the kernal, slow down. If you start to leave
tracking marks in the metal, speed up. Don't apply pressure to the torch, let the cup walk on the surface. Pressure will cramp your hand and you will
slip off the piece.

Step Five- Filler Rod!!! Now, that you have gotten used to walking the cup (you probably got pissed about 1052 times learning this) it is time to
add the other hand into to equation. Filler rod can be added during the initial pass or, if you are welding something thick, you will do a root pass
and then a cap pass. A root pass is the what was explained in step four, getting the metal 100% fused together. Then a cap pass is added, which is
the same concept but with the addition of filler metal. Begin by placing your torch at the appropriate angle and place your filler metal directly in
front of the tungsten. You are not going to move the rod but weave it into the weld. Strike your arc, and weave alittle untill you have a small pool
of metal started and then add the filler rod. If the rod balls up on you, then you do not have enough heat built up yet. Continue to walk the cup
across the piece in the direction of the filler rod. When you are done the weld, instead of looking like the "stack of coins", will look like the
belly of a snake. If it doesn't, don't get discouraged, it all takes time.

Now that you know how to become a Tig Ninja, you can tig weld in any position, not just staight down on a bench. It will take some time to learn to
do this, (trust me) but in the long run you will be happier tig welding than before. I don't even hardly use my mig as it is just easier, and faster
for me to just to use the tig. And I don't have to worry about a shower of sparks. Hopefully this will help even one person here, and maybe even become
a sticky, who knows. If anyone has any questions about tig or metalurgy of any kind feel free to PM me or post it and I will answer it to the best of
my ability. I am certified to weld stainless steel process pipe, (we actually follow closer to nuclear code than process) so stainless is kind of
a specialty of mine (derusting, welding, whatever.) Enjoy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
wheres the pics
Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Cnt take pics while welding you'll go blind lol. But seriously walking the cup is the best way to tig. I'm a pipe welder and its just the best way to do it.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 AM

Very informative write up. Very well put. Gas lens is not a nessecity but makes the process a little easier at times. . I'm a boilermaker by profession and everything he said is 100% true in 99.9 % of cases. Very well put A+
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 AM

I have been trying to learn how to TIG weld for the last few days. A buddy of mine is getting ready to start a job and wanted me to go with him. unfortunatley, though I can MIG like a mad man, I am horrible with the TIG so will have to forgo the job for now.
Walking the cup was the easy part for me. I got that down in a few hours but adding the filler rod killed me. My buddy showed me 4-5 times and I just can't seem to get a good weld out of it. oh well I will practice again sometime but after destroying 4 tungsten....
Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 AM

Try this... lay the wire in the groove. Unhook your torch power staick your tungsten out a little way past where it should be, leav the collet loose. Put the torch on the edge of the bevel pushing the tungsten on the wire. Do this with the torch straight on. Tighten the collet. Now you don't weld with the cup 90* to the piece but this will give you just enough arc clearance so the arc pushes the puddle through. Lay the wire in the groove and run over the wire. Focus the heat on the wire just watch the wire fuse to the one side and wash it to the other. You should be able to just run over the wire, rather than dipping and key holing. Try that and good luck to you. Once you get it you'll be like wtf was my problem this is easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.