DIY Traction Bars 99-03 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY Traction Bars 99-03 PSD

I did this over at the Nation and I have noticed there isn't a lot of build threads here so hopefully someone can use this thread for guidance on their own build.

The bars work flawlessly and I have not noticed any difference in ride quality.

On Edit: Could this possibly be a sticky in the Fab Forum for others wanting to build their own?????

Last edited by dirtboy25; 09-03-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

1/4" strap 3"x6"

I made this pattern at work. 1/4" plate. The bolt hole is 9/16" - 4 1/8" from the bottom of axle tube. I made sure to leave a +5/8" space in front and behind the axle tube in case i had to mount them over the u-bolts.

I cut a 3" spacer and placed it in the bolt holes. Mocked it up and welded it. And make sure to check, double check, and triple check for squareness.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All of the parts except for the axle mounts and tubing were purchased at Ballistic Fabrication

This is the bushing I used in the rear to go between the axle mounts I built. It is made form 2" DOM and overall width is 3"

This will be in the front. It is a forged chromoly 2.63" Ballistic Joint 3/4"-16tpi

Tube adapter. 3/4" 16-tpi for the Ballistic Joint

Frame mount... Again, for the Ballistic Joint
Old 09-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Looks great. Did you leave enough room at the axle connection for the bar joint? Looks like the 3" plate runs too low and won't allow a joint to fit in there.

I'll be running the same 3" single bushings in the rear and going with a rod end at the front to allow the articulation and easy parts replacements. Kind of like the OUO style. I'm also straddling the U-bolts but will not have such a heavy backer on the brackets. Interested to see how yours turns out. Putting those brackets on the bottom of the frame, I wouldn't think you'ld have to straddle. I think you can run the bracket right between the shock mount and the inner U-bolt.

Good luck and keep posting progress. And, is that a Lincoln Mig Pac 10??? That's what I have!!! Love the machine.

Dave

The center of the hole is 1 1/8" from the back plate, and the bushing is 2" OD. So,.... i should have an 1/8" gap when it's in there.

If i do put the brackets on the bottom of the frame i wont have to straddle the u-bolts. But i would have to remove my sway bar because it is in the way. I don't really want to remove it though. I can add on to the frame mounts to allow them to bolt up to the outside of the frame if i need to.

I cant decide if i want to remove the sway bar or not. Im still looking around and trying to find some helpful info on others that have removed it. And I was also wondering if i could build my own and make it narrower.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
how much $$ is in it?
where did you order the ends and frame mounts from?maybe post a link?
are you at stock height?
So far i have $220 in it, and all of that is what i posted in the 2nd post. I made the brackets for the axle next to nothing. I grabbed some scrap at work to make them.

For the 2" DOM it will cost me. I don't know the price for it but im getting 12ft and im guessing it's not going to be cheap either.

The bushings, heims, frame mount, and tube adapters were purchased from Ballistic Fabrication.Ballistic Fabrication - Manufacturers of Precision Offroad Fabrication Supplies hopefully they arrive in the mail today so i can work on finishing them up this weekend.

As far as height. I have removed the blocks from the rear which dropped it quite a bit, and i plan on dropping the front an inch. Im trying to figure out how. Some have said to use excursion leaf springs, but im wondering if i could build a set of drop shackles.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had to remove the shock mounts on both sides to get a good weld all the way around. These are the mounts i made. It rained the night before i got to paint them so they got a little rust on them. No biggy though. And yes, i did go the great lengths to make sure they were as straight as could possibly be to ensure there would be minimal binding.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I mocked up the bars, mounted them to the axle mount and cut them to length so that the front heim joint would be even with the carrier bearing. After that i attached the frame mount to the bars, positioned the mount and tacked it in place. Removed the bars and welded it.

This should give you an idea on how long they are. The final length cam to 61-1/4"

Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Now that the mounts were in place it was time to paint the bars. I lightly sanded them by hand, cleaned them with carb cleaner, and rubbed them down with mineral spirits.

I chose to go with a textured paint, I thought it would look nice on the bars and i am satisfied with the outcome.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After i let dry for 24+ hours i put the bars back together, set them at 61-1/4" and mounted them up.

I used full synthetic grease, don't know why, it's just what i had layin around. I pre greased everything and mad sure the bushings and joints were well lubricated before mounting.

They didn't send jam nuts with the heims so i just used regular nuts.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This is the only picture I have of them at a distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.