Electrical Help in My Garage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to kimber_da
Electrical Help in My Garage

Here's the deal. I am getting a welder (after 6 years of waiting) but I don't have 220V in my garage. My Breaker box is in the garage and I have never messed around in it more than resetting tripped breakers. I want to put an outlet about 25 FT from the box. My question is this: How many amps should I make the circuit handle? I want to be able to use a Mig and stick (if need be) welder. The welder isn't going to be huge, maybe a middle of the road Hobart of sorts. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

50amp breaker should take care of it.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via Yahoo to kimber_da
Cool. Thanks for the help. Now i just need to figure out which welder I need.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Forgot to add need to run 6 gauge wire for 50amps
Old 10-09-2009, 01:56 PM

DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT JUST PUT A FIFTY AMP BREAKER IN YOUR PANEL AND RUN JUST ANY WELDER. I have been in the electrical field for going on 12 years, and been a master for 8 yrs of that. If you want to do it right, go find the welder you want to use and put in the electric to accomodate the welder. Most medium duty welders only require 30 amps overcurrent protection, so if you put a 50 amp circuit in, you are just asking for stuff to not work out right in the event of an electrical issue. Feel free to hit me up on here if you have further questions, but please dont just pick a random breaker size and put it in, not to mention, you are going to spend a lot more money for a 50 amp breaker and the correct wire size for that than you would a 30 or 20amp and the wire that is properly sized for it. good luck
Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ditto what Gamble said--except for the electrician part--but I did work with 2 electricians for 2.5 years and a master electrician for 1.5 years. Wait until you get the welder and then get the right size breaker and plug. Run #8 THHN fror the 30 amp and #6 for the 50...if you get a unit that big. And when you do put the breaker in the the panel, figure out what side has the least amount...add up the breaker numbers and put your new one on the side with the least...not a must do, but it doesn't hurt. When I retire from the USAF in about a year or so, I'm going to school to be an electrician....Just my 2 cents.....

Gamble...please correct me if I'm wrong!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Welders can usually be derated on wire size based on article 630.11 of the nec 2008 code book. This is because of the duty cycle of the welders, but you still have to wire it up in accordance with the particular welder that you buy, not just a shot in the dark and hope you get it right. I hope these posts have been/will be helpful.(both mine and rinnels)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.