Brazing Cast Iron? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
FABRICATION FORUM Let's see your ideas and work! :)

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brazing Cast Iron?

I have an old corn planter that Im restoring and I just noticed that on the frame it has a big crack. What is the best way to repair it? I was thinking about brazing it because I was told it can't be welded. My main concern is that its 100 years old and I don't want to screw it up any worse. What should I do? Thanks and heres a picture of part of it when I was priming it today...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Banned

Here is a picture of the piece that needs fixed. What is the best way to repair it considering its cast iron? Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Cast iron sucks! Oxy-acetylene welding is going to be the best, ut you have to heat it slowly, because cast is VERY brittle. That's why you can't arc weld it; it heats too fast. I'm not professional, but that's my experience with it
Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I own a welding shop, just get a good brazing rod and take your time. dont let it cool to fast you will chasing cracks. Just take your time and be very easy with it..
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Banned

Thats the problem though if I break it im hosed because that piece is nearly impossible to find and its 100 years old. I was told about heating it slowly too. I think the reason it cracked is because it was repaired before. I think some idiot just heated it up too quick and made it brittle . I guess Ill try the oxy acetyline brazing.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:36 PM

You can buy special welding rods made for cast iron. I've used them before and they seem to work well. just heat the metal up and let it cool very slowly.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 7.3 6speed View Post
You can buy special welding rods made for cast iron. I've used them before and they seem to work well. just heat the metal up and let it cool very slowly.
Ill have to look at those when I go to the store. Im going to practice on a junk piece to see what I like best first.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03-blue-Powerstroke View Post
Ill have to look at those when I go to the store. Im going to practice on a junk piece to see what I like best first.
check them out there a little pricey. I made a repair on my grain drill and it's holding up fine.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The key is to pre-heat AND post-heat the cast iron. Get your pieces prepped by grinding a slight bevel all the way around both pieces to be brazed or welded. Welding cast iron requires the use of nickel welding rods. They work great, but they are pricey! When you are brazing, keep the pieces tight together...an extra set of trusting hands with heavy gloves works good if you can find them. Pre-heat the parts with a torch to a point just before it starts turning orange...basically as hot as you can get it without changing color. Lay down a bead about 1/4 - 3/8" wide...the brazing acts like a glue, so more is better, to a point. After you are satisfied with the finished product, keep the torch going and keep the flame on it, backing it away an inch or 2 every couple of minutes. You can even place it in an oven set at 450 and turn it down 50 degrees every 15-20 minutes until you turn it off, then leave it in the oven until it is cool to the touch. If you choose to arc weld it with the nickle rod, follow the same pre/post heating instructions.

I went to a vo-tech school (graduated as a certified weldor--Vert up and overhead, stick and MIG) before I joined the USAF, and did some fixes just like this as well as an engine block with a crack...just drilled a hole at each end of the crack, grooved it out about 1/8", preheated the area, welded about an inch, re-heated, weld another inch, repeat until done. Worked like a charm.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 PM

Dude, the Henrob 2000 can do that No Prob!!!!!
look it up on youtube. I saw it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.