She Died on me at 75mph now won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
She Died on me at 75mph now won't start

Hello all this is my first post looks like a great source of info. Hopefully someone can help me out with my problem.

I was coming home from northern WI. Temp was -13F when starting truck. She started up fine, I let it warm up for about 20 minutes. I then proceeded home at highway speeds. I was driving along for over an hour at 75 and everything seemed fine then I noticed some missing and I was loosing speed. I pulled to the side of the freeway and my truck was still idling but it sounded like there was air in the fuel system. Truck was rattling bad. I then shut the truck off and drained off the filter. I went back in and tried starting the truck, it started but sounded aweful with no power. It just kept getting worse and worse till it wouldn't even start anymore. The temp was -8F at this point. I was close enough to a truck stop to run there. I went and they sold me 2 bottles of Isoprople so I added them to my tank of striaght #2 Diesel. Before the trip I filled my tank and added a whole bottle of Power service. I thought the entire bottle would be more then enough to keep my fuel from gelling. Well my truck still didnt start after the alcohol and a hour of waiting and about 10 drainings of the filter housing. Someone towed me up to the truck stop where I topped off my tank with thier winter blend and tried to start her again. All I get is a knock knock knock when its turning over. But it does not want to go.

My truck is now sitting at the truck stop a hour from my home. I am going to go up there as soon as it warms up a bit to try to get her running. I have a spare CPS (replaced it about 3000 miles ago) I am going to bring it along but I don't know what else to try. Anyone have any ideas of what I can try? She is out in the middle of nowhere so if I can't get her going its the hook

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Oh yea shes a 2002 excursion 7.3 powerstroke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 05:18 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
First off let me say welcome to the site alot of good people here and alot of good info. Down below I list what I believe is your problem.

Cam Positioning Sensor, it is located on the front engine cover above the crank pulley, at 1 o'clock. It has a metal tab sticking out of it and a wiring harness going to it. I suggest replacing that. It costs any where from 110 dollars to 150 dollars depending on where you go. I am willing to bet that is your problem. The 7.3L is notorious for having these sensors fail.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I replaced it about 3000 miles ago. I was planning on bringing the old one along to try since there was nothing wrong with it. I was also looking for other items that I could check/change out to find my problem since its an hour away from home.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Sounds to me like your fuel is gelling. Tow it to a place where your can get it warmed up like a garage and give it another shot. Make sure your batteries are charged up also.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:42 PM
I LIKE CHROME :)

Send a message via MSN to power95
if your fuel is gelling put in a new fuel filter.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Also did you run it to low the fuel that is. Maybe your guage is off a bit just a thought.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i had similar symptoms a couple years ago, ended being that my fuel pump was bad.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I left my house with a full tank of #2 and a quart of Power service. Drove all the way up 145 miles without a problem. Truck sat till this morning -13 and started right up drove about halfway home about 70 miles and thats when she died. Tank was at about 2/3rds full when the problem started. Since the problem I have added 2 pints of Iso heet (I don't like adding alcohol to my fuel) with no change. I then was towed to the truckstop and topped off the tank (about 15 gallons) Still nothing.

The whole time the fuel flows nicely out of my drain on my filter housing if I open the valve. If it was gelled up wouldn't the fuel not come out of the drain?
Old 02-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Hmmm makes sense to me if you have fuel flowing at the drain your not gelled up. Maybe it is the fuel pump. I don't know what the easiest way to check that would be other then to listen to see if it cycles or maybe see if it will fill your fuel filter bowl. Hopefully somone with more knowledge will chime in
Old 02-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am really hoping its the CPS but with only 3000 miles on it?????? I just don't want to drive an hour just to let the old girl sit in a parking lot again.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.