Wife P.O.ed truck and now it won't start! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Wife P.O.ed truck and now it won't start!

My wife was talking bad about the old girl Saturday before we went to Sam's and I guess she must have ticked her off. I was sitting in the lot idling with the AC blowing and got tired of waiting (15min) so I shut the truck off.

No Start after that. I ran the batteries down trying and bought a new battery and tried some more. I had it towed home and she hasn't started since.

History - some problems with hard starting when hot - never a no start. I was planning to change IPR o-rings and see if that helped the problem before this happened.

1994.5 5-speed 175,000 miles, moderate blowby (even no chugging) never ran hot always runs a little cool on the gauge but cycles the thermostat (205 degree)

replaced fuel filter afterwards still no start. I tried to remove plug from top of HPOP to check oil and plug is stuck.

No codes other than lower than expected PCM voltage from (I assume) changing the battery. Tach moves when cranking. I don't notice any oil pressure buildup on the gauge when cranking. (and I wound on it for awhile)

I need a troubleshooting plan of attack and test sequences. I have some test equipment and can get what I need. Someone give me a path to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 AM
wriott

CPS, ICP, IPR... those are the ones i would start with...
Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If those dont work find a way to get that plug out of the resivour on the HPOP1
Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 AM
wriott

ohhh first i forgot to ask... are you sure the engine is getting fuel??
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 AM

How do I determine that? I was going to get a gauge to hook on at the filter. Even if that indicates presssure, that is no guarantee the fuel is getting to the cylinders. I shot it one time with a little ether and it bucked and carried on but wouldn't keep running. My gut feeling is that it is a fuel problem.

I just don't know the testing processes for the different fuel components and don't want to start parts swapping until I run out of money.

Water and lift pumps were replaced last year and the truck hasn't run many miles (10k) since then.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:35 AM
wriott

check and see if you can hear your pump working, drain the fuel bowl and see if it will refill, if so then the truck is getting fuel more than likely. then start checking what was said above.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have a 94.5 7.3 also it did that to me a couple of years ago it was the cam position sensor...then a couple of months later did it again and it was the lift pump
Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 AM

I have fuel pressure. Checked it (informally) and it spurted all the way to the fender. I was looking at the IPR and the black plastic part that the harness plugs into is loose. It freely moves sided to side about a quarter inch.

If you guys have links to procedures for changing the IPR and HPOP, post them up for me as I think that is where I will ultimately be headed.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 AM

Finally got the plug out of the HPOP and the oil level was waaaay low. I filled it back up and still no start. Unplugged the ICP and threw a code. Plugged it back up.

I'm getting P1661 and P1668 codes.

I also talked to Bob at Diesel Site about their pumps and he suggested a Auto Enginuity diagnostic scanner. I was just about to pull the trigger on that one when he said it hooked up to a laptop. Well, I don't have one of those. I guess I could put my desk top on a cart or something.

He also suggested a gauge called an Interceptor that can capture the data and codes although you can only see two at a time. I tried to call them to find out just how much info it could pull from my 94.5 and they don't have a phone # on their site. Just a forum to contact through.

I'm still leaning towards the IPR/HPOP problem and likely should replace the low pressure oil pump while I'm in there. I really hate to just throw parts at something.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 AM

Are there other scanner options I don't know about? I would really like to be able to run a buzz test and other diagnostics that I can't do with just a gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.